Wait 18-24 months for a Shirley or build local in CA?

Smithers1945

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi guys.

As some of you have done, I was getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Lang 36 Hybrid with the warmer box, and then came across several threads stating Lang can't hold a candle to Shirley. I watched a bunch of Paul Shirley's YouTube videos and just seeing how enthusiastic he is about his work and dedication to his trade cemented the fact I want a Shirley. He seems like a real cool, down to earth kind of guy.

I emailed with Tyler who said he and his dad's timeframe are 24 and 18 months, respectively. Wow. That is awesome for them, and speaks volumes about the demand and quality of their products.

Which now brings me to my issue... I have outgrown the space I have on my MAK and Good One Open Range. I really need to get something bigger, and waiting 2 years will be difficult. I'd hate to buy something larger and not what I am exactly looking for to get me by for 2 years, and then end up turning around and selling it for 50-60% of what I paid. Doesn't seem like a smart financial decision. And not to mention, once the Shirley is completed, it'll cost about $1000 to ship to CA.

I thought it would be a good idea to check and see what my local options are on the west coast, and found a few. I called up Ken at KAT Smokers and Mike at California Custom Smokers to see what my options are with them, and see where pricing comes in at since I won't be hit with the crazy shipping costs. I explained to them what I am looking for in my next smoker, and am just waiting for them to get back to me.

So my question for the Brethren, what do you guys think? Wait an agonizing 18-24 months for the Rolls Royce of smokers to be sent to me or go local? I am confident the local guys do great work and I would likely be happy with whatever they build, but I worry part of me will always wonder about what if I would have waited. Like the girl that got away lol.

Sounds to me like you want a Shirley and anything else will leave you wondering if you made the right decision. So get your deposit in and possibly a used one meeting your needs will come available. Yes it's a long wait but once your dream cooker arrives you will forget all about the wait.

The wait ends up being almost everyone's friend. With time to go over your want list and to visit other Shirley builds, you will get in the end exactly what you want and need. They are very patient with you changing your build from your original deposit to the actual built. The wait seems unbearable but it will go faster than you think. Barry

Hey, here's my opinion and honestly it doesn't matter because I don't own one... The Shirley boy's make one hell of a smoker.. I am absolutely impressed by their product and their costumer service.. I joined this site and there was maybe a 2 month wait.. Now its 2 years?..... They must be doing something right! Any interaction I have with them on this site has been fantastic.. They seem to be a really good group of people. From what I've seen displayed on this forum their costumer service alone is worth the wait and purchase.

I'm only allowed to say this because I for one will never be able to afford something like a Shirley smoker and I am perfectly happy with what I have now and it will last me the rest of my life. I could never wait 2 years.. I could not handle it.. I think even my past posts show that if I want to buy something I'll find a way to buy it right away.

I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you decide to purchase.. If you can handle the 2 year wait and can afford it plus shipping then I would go all in on a Shirley. But I'm all for looking at all of the options.

I'd buy a used Lang and order the Shirley. Shortly before the Shirley is ready sell the Lang to help finance the Shirley.

I will not own another stickburner from a different maker unless something really changes with another maker.

They are priced well, built great and have features that are just BOOBIES.

Worth the wait with a good plan in place. Now if you didn't go the route of getting something else while you wait then I can see the 24 month wait to be a barrier.

Used Langs sell for as much as you buy them for, if you buy right.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There is a guy that has been trying to sell a Lang 60 with chargriller for months in Tracey, CA.

Offer him the right price and I'm sure he'd sell.

I must have misread the OP as I assumed a bigger smoker.

St. Louis BBQ Store showed having some smaller Shirleys in stock.

Sounds to me like you want a Shirley and anything else will leave you wondering if you made the right decision. So get your deposit in and possibly a used one meeting your needs will come available. Yes it's a long wait but once your dream cooker arrives you will forget all about the wait.

That's kind of what I'm thinking too.

What I did was get the Lang used, enjoyed it then sold it for a profit. The money then went to my Shirley , never been happier. I say get em both

I search CL every day or so looking to see what's out there. Langs come up every once in a while. I found one about 80 miles away. A regular 36 patio, and the price was $1500. Seemed a bit high to me. What do you think? It appeared to be in good condition.

I must have misread the OP as I assumed a bigger smoker.

St. Louis BBQ Store showed having some smaller Shirleys in stock.

Thanks for your comment. I looked at that Lang a while back, and it's too big for me. I don't have room at the house for a trailer.

I do like the idea of finding one as a temporary solution, and then getting the Shirley later.

Also, I have talked to the guys in STL. It is appealing, but I would really like a warmer box. I am SO tempted to get one they still have available, but I think I'll miss not having the warmer box.

https://fatstacksmokers.com

Check these guys out on instagram, great quality, out of LA also

I actually looked into these guys yesterday. They're the closest option for me. However, I wasn't overly impressed. If you look at the picture of the smoker on their homepage, the metal work around the handle on the lid looks kind of messy. The surface looks uneven or the paint wasn't applied very well.

My advice is wait. You have cookers I assume. So wait for what you really want. Shirley is out of my budget. If I had the oppurtunity to own one if i waited 2 years then I would wait.

I actually looked into these guys yesterday. They're the closest option for me. However, I wasn't overly impressed. If you look at the picture of the smoker on their homepage, the metal work around the handle on the lid looks kind of messy. The surface looks uneven or the paint wasn't applied very well.

Haha... it's obvious you WANT the Shirley and you're going to pick holes in anything else. Get yourself a Old Country Brazos in the mean time and put in your deposit for the Shirley. Better to wait and get exactly what you want than to have to look at something else every time you cook and aren't satisfied with.

Back