Wait 18-24 months for a Shirley or build local in CA?

I only read the OP's message and thought to chip in my $.02.

A 2 year wait is absurd for an offset smoker. And I simply do not buy that their smokers are that much better at getting you a blue smoke than any other respectable stick burner out there.

55% of offset cooking is fire management, the rest is the meat, the rub, knowing when it's done, and the cooker itself. In other words, the fire is the most important thing - and there are dozens of very fine manufacturers that would enable the same thing on the plate if you get your fire right.

With that said, if you gotta have one of their cookers, so you can join that club and the resultant pride of ownership - well, you have your answer. Otherwise, I'd suggest looking at some other companies' offerings. Good luck with your purchase!

They are not price gouging and taking shortcuts like some other makers do which is part of the reason why their backlog is so long and why they have so many loyal fans.

I have been around long enough on other forums to see Fanboys and Fangirls give makers an ego that drove up their price and backlogs while the quality of their work never rose to the level to justify their high price and long waits. When I finally saw the makers work in question after reading and listening to the Fanboys and Fangirls drone on for so long, I was stunned to see the low quality of work, sub-par performance of said product, and what a totally inflated unjustified ego these *#$)@!* had. I still remember one particular knifemaker vividly.

The Shirley's have earned the backlog and the respect of people like myself through continued hard work producing a very high-quality product they make themselves in-house. They do it all while remaining humble and respecting the people that bring them their business.

So yes, you can buy a reverse flow offset from many makers. Many of them actually work pretty well. What you will have a hard doing is buying one at a similar price, with similar features and, similar quality of construction. There are a lot of good people in the BBQ business so, I'll call that one a draw. :wink:

I would be fine with either one of their work. I just wouldn't want to place an order and find out 2 years from now that their company has grown to the point where they have hired more people and the end product isn't at the level I'm seeing today.

When I picked up Ol' Mortimer this March, I asked Paul why he didn't bring on more people to increase production/reduce backlog:

"Mike, I can't find people that want to come to work everyday, put in 8 hours, and take pride in what they do. I'm not willing to sacrifice quality."

I wanted my Shirley so badly that I bought it from a private seller. Probably best cooker I ever will own, only way I’d sell is if I got another Shirley.

My Vault is a convenience cooker (still delicious) but Shirley is still hands down the best food I can possibly cook given the time and fire tending. You won’t regret getting a Shirley !!

They are not price gouging and taking shortcuts like some other makers do which is part of the reason why their backlog is so long and why they have so many loyal fans.

I have been around long enough on other forums to see Fanboys and Fangirls give makers an ego that drove up their price and backlogs while the quality of their work never rose to the level to justify their high price and long waits. When I finally saw the makers work in question after reading and listening to the Fanboys and Fangirls drone on for so long, I was stunned to see the low quality of work, sub-par performance of said product, and what a totally inflated unjustified ego these *#$)@!* had. I still remember one particular knifemaker vividly.

The Shirley's have earned the backlog and the respect of people like myself through continued hard work producing a very high-quality product they make themselves in-house. They do it all while remaining humble and respecting the people that bring them their business.

So yes, you can buy a reverse flow offset from many makers. Many of them actually work pretty well. What you will have a hard doing is buying one at a similar price, with similar features and, similar quality of construction. There are a lot of good people in the BBQ business so, I'll call that one a draw. :wink:

While I haven't exactly seen the fanboys and fangirls you mention on various forums, I do agree 100% with what you said about other brands cutting corners or not having as good of quality with either the same or a higher price tag. I looked at a LOT of smokers before calling up Paul and placing a deposit... I found a lot of nice smokers out there that would do what I am looking for, but I kept finding little flaws with each one. I knew if I chose something else other than Shirley, I would think about those flaws often and second guess not having the very best quality that comes with a Shirley.

Besides the overall quality in terms of welds and construction, I think the Shirley's cabinet design is not only extremely practical, but it looks awesome. You don't have to deal with lifting a heavy door every time you open it, and you can have turkeys or other birds up on top without worrying about the lid closing on it. I used to deal with this issue when I had my Traeger Texas several years ago, and it drove me bonkers.

The other big reason I chose going with Shirley is Paul himself. I've watched a lot of his YouTube videos, and seeing how passionate he is about his builds pretty much cemented my decision to place a deposit. Sure other manufacturers have videos on online where they showcase their builds, but Paul talks about other things in his videos, like his support for veterans, his community, and overall seems like a real genuine guy. I suppose the best way to explain it is I feel more comfortable knowing who I working with, and it's not some large corporation where I have to call an 800 number and wait to speak with someone who has no idea who I am.

They really do fantastic work, like others here I've looked at all of them in detail. I love my LSG and my OK Joe has been amazing for the price with a few cheap mods, but the Shirley really is an incredible value in addition to masterful work. I'm thinking about it right now, don't need it any time soon and don't mind the wait- if I go for it I'll think of it as a layaway plan!

I only read the OP's message and thought to chip in my $.02.

A 2 year wait is absurd for an offset smoker. And I simply do not buy that their smokers are that much better at getting you a blue smoke than any other respectable stick burner out there.

55% of offset cooking is fire management, the rest is the meat, the rub, knowing when it's done, and the cooker itself. In other words, the fire is the most important thing - and there are dozens of very fine manufacturers that would enable the same thing on the plate if you get your fire right.

With that said, if you gotta have one of their cookers, so you can join that club and the resultant pride of ownership - well, you have your answer. Otherwise, I'd suggest looking at some other companies' offerings. Good luck with your purchase!

7e4.jpg

To the OP.
I'm sure the Shirley Fab is a great cooker but there's no reason to trash a Lang either.
Enjoy your wait while I continue to put out many pounds of Q on my Lang.

Oh come on... No where in my comment was I trashing Lang. Langs are fine smokers, and I'd be happy to have one, but Shirley's attention to details is on another level.

Thank you, I will enjoy my wait for an amazing, custom built beast :thumb:

Maybe you forgot how you started off.
From your original post in this thread:
"came across several threads stating Lang can't hold a candle to Shirley."

I just wrote in the Lang thread that these two names are the best RF cookers out there. I’ve been lucky enough to own one of each. It’s like a corvette and a viper. Only a silly person would say a bad thing about either. You won’t go wrong with either.

As a lot of the posts above have said, there’s an artistic aspect to these cookers. My Shirley is functional metal art. I just love staring at it. It’s beautiful and makes some wildly good Que!!

I just wrote in the Lang thread that these two names are the best RF cookers out there. I’ve been lucky enough to own one of each. It’s like a corvette and a viper. Only a silly person would say a bad thing about either. You won’t go wrong with either.

As a lot of the posts above have said, there’s an artistic aspect to these cookers. My Shirley is functional metal art. I just love staring at it. It’s beautiful and makes some wildly good Que!!

I saw your comment in the other thread. I couldn't agree more. I would have bought a Lang before I looked into Shirley further. Chances are I will buy a Lang to use until my Shirley is done.

Love your comment about it being functional metal art. I have already picked where I am going to lay cement and keep it on my property. I'll be able to look at it through my home office window so I can admire it all day.

I saw your comment in the other thread. I couldn't agree more. I would have bought a Lang before I looked into Shirley further. Chances are I will buy a Lang to use until my Shirley is done.

Love your comment about it being functional metal art. I have already picked where I am going to lay cement and keep it on my property. I'll be able to look at it through my home office window so I can admire it all day.

You got that right!! I’ll catch myself going outside just to have excuse to glare at it. Even if I’m not too hungry, I’ll look for an excuse to put some sticks on and light her up. It’s pure joy cooking on this thing. No regrets. You’ll also grow to love your Lang and find it hard to part with it as it too is a formidable cooking machine

I am gonna sign up on the Shirley wait again.No tellin what they will come up with in the next two years!! I really could not be happier with my custom build other than I do not have time to use it as much as I would like to. Kinda like an English double barreled shotgun.The finest made,heirloom,pass it down.

I am gonna sign up on the Shirley wait again.No tellin what they will come up with in the next two years!! I really could not be happier with my custom build other than I do not have time to use it as much as I would like to. Kinda like an English double barreled shotgun.The finest made,heirloom,pass it down.

Ya know, that's not a bad idea. I'm sure you will be able to sell your current Shirley for a good price once your new one is ready. You don't see many used ones come up for sale often, and someone who doesn't want to wait 2 years will swoop it right up.

Looks like I'm just an old guy in a very small minority here.
A smoker, truck, shovel, boat, or whatever..., are tools as I see them. Each has a purpose. I don't much care how they look if they are built solid and function well.
It ain't the arrow.... It's the indian operating it!
Sorry to interfere with the SF worship.

Looks like I'm just an old guy in a very small minority here.
A smoker, truck, shovel, boat, or whatever..., are tools as I see them. Each has a purpose. I don't much care how they look if they are built solid and function well.
It ain't the arrow.... It's the indian operating it!
Sorry to interfere with the SF worship.

No need to apologise, and no need to be critical of those who have different criteria.

I'b be overjoyed with any number of cookers, but there are very few out there that look like doing exactly what I'll need, especially for the price. It's a tool for me to, I use cheap carbon steel knives when they are the right tool, and expensive SS ones when that's the way to go, and I've cooked for armies of people with the crappiest equipment you can imagine, or improvising completely with no equipment at all. No worship here, just respect for good design and craftsmanship.

What's wrong with an skilled Indian with a straight arrow, anyway?

Just looked through the Shirley website again and it makes me want one...I'd put a deposit down and then buy a OK Joe from Wally World today to keep me occupied for the next 24 months.

I think that Paul and Tyler turn out a beautiful and well made product and I would love to have one. The exact same statement could be said of Mercedes Benz. I have a well made cooker that I really like and IMO it turns out a really good load of Q. However the cost equates to a Ford.

I would love to have a Mercedes and they are a beautiful, well made car. I just can't afford one. Paul and Tyler have my admiration and they make a great product. They also represent this industry well. I just can't afford one.

Back