Wagyu ribeyes sous vide + Primo XL

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
As I mentioned in another thread, Sam's Club was remodeled and now has some wonderful new meat options (Berkshire pork, grass fed beef, Wagyu beef, etc). They had some ribeyes labeled as "Kobe" but it's Wagyu I'm sure, and it looked too good for me to resist. It was priced at $35/lb, and cost me $50 for two ribeyes - steep, considering I could get two of their nice Angus cowboy ribeyes for that price, but I wanted to try it. Still cheaper than a crappy steak from a place like Outback. :thumb:

Anyhow, they were about an inch thick and considering I'd never cooked them before, I opted to sous vide them at 127* for a couple hours and then sear on the Primo XL. I figured I was less likely to overcook or somehow screw up an otherwise amazing and expensive cut of beef this way. In retrospect I probably could've just seared them in cast iron, but I had some asparagus I wanted to grill and it was an excuse to play with fire.

When I pulled them out of the sous vide vac bag, they were crazy tender, like I had to be careful in handling them so the different muscles did not fall apart. I slathered them with some oil, then kosher salt and cracked pepper and put them on the grill long enough to get a nice Maillard reaction on the surface. Sides were salt crusted baked potatos and grilled asparagus.

These ribeyes were amazing, the texture was wonderful and buttery and a flavor above and beyond the ribeyes I normally cook. They were definitely a nice treat, but I think in most circumstances I'll just save $27/lb and keep buying the Angus cowboy ribeyes I love.

Last edited:
Those steaks look pretty damn good even for the high price.

Which Sam’s did they remodel. I’m over in Topeka and I might stop by to check it out

Those steaks look pretty damn good even for the high price.

Which Sam’s did they remodel. I’m over in Topeka and I might stop by to check it out

Independence, but they're also remodeling the Overland Park one, I just haven't been inside it for a while so I don't know if it's done or setup similarly.

Last edited:
Independence, but they're also remodeling the Overland Park one, I just haven't been inside it for a while so I don't know if it's done or setup similarly.

Thanks. I’ll be out in independence next week actually so I might stop by. I’ll check out the OP one also.

That is one fine looking plate, nice work.

That's pure bliss right there. :clap2: Looks amazing!

I've done quite a bit of wagyu and no need to sous vide due to the high fat content but you already caught that. :thumb:

That's "last meal" caliber awesome. I hope the new Sams they are building in my neck of the woods will get the same treatment!

Back