THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

*** Vote - BBQ Brethren "2014 Throwdown Grand Master Finale" Throwdown! - Vote ***

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
All the entries looked incredible to me and I too wish I could vote for each and every one. I finally narrowed it down to the entries of Buccaneer and Toast......sorry Buccs but Toast edged you out.

I hope to attempt all of these entries in the coming months even though I doubt I'll be able to duplicate the results of these true masters of the grill.

Once again congratulations to all!

:tsk: In so many ways! Fantastic entries. Just disappointing that "other" things get in the way of what the TD's are meant to be. Just my .02.

Bob

Agree Bob,
As I have said in the past, (and yes we have had many discussions on how to improve the throwdowns) remove the option to be able to see the VOTE and you remove the constant vote counting, who's voting for who. Who's in the lead, etc, etc. A persons vote will not be influenced by what has already happened. We all find out what happened when voting is closed. Just my .02.

I agree, make it blind.

We have to figure out something, but if we look back over the last year where entries that were poor in comparison to the others, lacked in difficulty or skill, yet won with the assistance of hometown or parochial votes that were members who joined on the day they voted, or showed up only to ever post by voting for someone, then you HAVE to assume that that particular someone will simply tell his conspirators which dish is their, no?

Anyway, I am heartened that a mod is talking about it, but am concerned that decisions should be made on this TD and get it concluded rather than stir the pot while everything is up in the air.
:noidea:

Ray, I agree with you in theory, but I would fear it would make cheating more prevalent. If you can't see who is voting, I'm going to get a bunch of my friends to register and vote for me in every TD. They won't be using the forum or anything, just helping insure I win. No one will know that 10 votes are basically me voting for myself. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it's not that far off. This is supposed to be a fun little contest based on the honor system in many ways. It's just turning out not everyone got that memo.

Ray, I agree with you in theory, but I would fear it would make cheating more prevalent. If you can't see who is voting, I'm going to get a bunch of my friends to register and vote for me in every TD. They won't be using the forum or anything, just helping insure I win. No one will know that 10 votes are basically me voting for myself. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it's not that far off. This is supposed to be a fun little contest based on the honor system in many ways. It's just turning out not everyone got that memo.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKiVttFnqkY"]Dire Straits - Your Latest Trick - YouTube[/ame]

I belong to a coin forum where if you want to sell or buy coins from other members you have to have at least 50 legitimate posts, not just a few words here and there. Would that work in this case. Just a thought....

Love the idea except that we want brand new members to compete. If they can't vote I feel they will be less likely to want to compete. Fine with a coin forum but maybe just not practical with us and our BBQ.

I too, feel that the votes need to remain visible. I believe it has always added to the fun. It's only because we have a situation where a member, or members have been seen to be overzealous in recruiting votes that we are bringing this into question. Let's not hide the mechanism that led to this discovery. We'd be just killing the messenger.

Having said that, I believe that each and every member here has the integrity to now personally cease and desist any further vote gathering activities now that the mechanism has been shown, and that the general consensus is that brand new members should not be solicited for votes.

Personally, I feel that such a practice IF it has taken place is akin to the new kid at school making friends on his first day. He's making friends with the guys that have got no friends. The new kid at school learns pretty fast, and so do the new members. At issue here is that a new member may be turned off the BBQ brethren by being approached in this way and groomed for votes. A new member doesn't have to stay. He'll vote and then he will leave and we may have lost a potentially fantastic member. We'll never know.

I believe once we all know this, that we will all have the integrity to do the right thing. After all. It's just food on a plate. Of course we have a great time with it but let's not lose perspective of the big picture here. It's just food. When you start taking it too seriously, it's not fun anymore. You ruin it for everyone and you end up taking your ball and going home.

Integrity for yourself, respect for your fellow brethren and HAVING FUN is what this is all about.

All of us need a little self reflection and I believe we can have a great 2015 of competitions.

Cheers!

Bill

This is nothing new here...

Nepotism voting has always had part in the Throwdowns from time to time for as long as I remember, even before I registered as a user. While it may not be present in every single contest, it does rear itself from time to time.

I saw a throwdown many years ago (2010) when a carved piece of spam won a throwdown. While it was cute and humorous, it wasn't the meat for the entry, but was only in the shape. It was this that actually deferred me from registering as a member for several more months.

This is what has prevented me from entering the Throwdowns, instead I just watch and see some of the great entries which can inspire other ideas for cooking at home.

Personally I think the Throwdowns should be open to all and able to be viewed by all, but only paid members in good standing should be allowed to vote. It would be hard to justify spending money just to get an extra vote. While this may not eliminate nepotism votes, it would eliminate multiple aliases from being created for the purpose of voting. Hopefully those members would vote in a true manner with the best interest of the Throwdowns in mind.

It may not be possible to set up in this manner, and the Mods have invested a lot of time and effort into making this an outstanding forum. I thank them for all their efforts and time for everything they do here. They do a fantastic job.

Either way it doesn't bother me as I don't enter the Throwdowns and I am not a paid member here.

Just my two cents...

Everyone will see who voted in the end or right after they vote you might see the voting.

What I'm saying is it stops votes from being influenced by what has already taken place, keeping the vote more about that persons favorite dish, not about who's in the lead, etc.

Everyone will see who voted in the end or right after they vote you might see the voting.
What I'm saying is it stops votes from being influenced by what has already taken place, keeping the vote more about that persons favorite dish, not about who's in the lead.
I don't think you can keep the results hidden until it closes in the forum software (without installing a vB hack that may or may not be compatible with our version) and going to outside poll services opens the vote up to non-Brethren members, which would potentially result in larger issues to deal with.

I don't think you can keep the results hidden until it closes in the forum software (without installing a vB hack that may or may not be compatible with out version) and going to outside poll services opens the vote up to non-Brethren members, which would potentially result in larger issues to deal with.

What about hidden intel you vote?

Thanks for clearing that up Peeps!!

Do you think you could look into the VB hack (whatever that is) and see if their might be some type of solution to blocking "View Poll Results" ?

I had no idea that this was not possible with what we have now..

Do you think you could look into the VB hack (whatever that is) and see if their might be some type of solution to blocking "View Poll Results" ?

That's Phil's call, and only Phil's call. He has the vBulletin software finely tuned for our needs. I seriously doubt he would be interested in a hack.

Thanks for clearing that up Peeps!!

I had no idea that this was not possible with what we have now..
The only option we have now is to show who voted for who...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back