THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SteveKing

is one Smokin' Farker
As the title says. I'll be visiting KC, where should I eat? And why (if you've got it)?

I live in Kansas City and still haven't made it to all the barbecue joints here. My personal favorite is Q39, their brisket and burnt ends are amazing. Joes Kansas City has several locations and is one of the better known places. A lot of the "original" places that put KC on the map (Gates, Arthur Bryants, etc) IMO aren't that special. Slaps in KCK gets recommended a lot, there is Jack Stack which has several locations in the various ends of town.

I assume you're looking for BBQ when you come here but I can recommend some other cuisines too.

I live in Kansas City and still haven't made it to all the barbecue joints here. My personal favorite is Q39, their brisket and burnt ends are amazing. Joes Kansas City has several locations and is one of the better known places. A lot of the "original" places that put KC on the map (Gates, Arthur Bryants, etc) IMO aren't that special. Slaps in KCK gets recommended a lot, there is Jack Stack which has several locations in the various ends of town.

I assume you're looking for BBQ when you come here but I can recommend some other cuisines too.

Yeah I was wondering about Gates and AB. Sometimes what cities are known for aren't the best - they are just good because thats what the population knows. I still was thinking about maybe visiting one or the other though - if so, what should I order?

I'm a TX bbq guy, but I do love my ribs sweet (and spicy is always good). Where should I go for those?

Yeah I was wondering about Gates and AB. Sometimes what cities are known for aren't the best - they are just good because thats what the population knows. I still was thinking about maybe visiting one or the other though - if so, what should I order?

I'm a TX bbq guy, but I do love my ribs sweet (and spicy is always good). Where should I go for those?

I'd probably opt for Gates over AB but I would skip both personally :-D

Joes is always a stop when I make it to KC but I also like Arthur Bryant's. If you go to Jack Stack make sure to get some beans

Going to have to bookmark this thread as my daughter will be going to college out that way soon. We stopped at Smokin Guns on the way back home from a visit and it was so-so. The mac-n-cheese bites were fantastic, but you can probably guess where this is going if I start with a side. We got a couple of sampler plates to try things and the ribs were ok. The brisket was cut almost sliced roast beef sandwich thin and it still needed a knife? The smoked turkey was great. Very juicy and good taste. Quite possible it may have sat in some broth a little, but very tasty. The burnt ends were also nothing to go bonkers over. Our appetizer of fried pickles were pretty good, better than most we have had. The service was average. Could have been an off day, don't know, but we have no desire to go back.

You cant go wrong with Jack Stacks in KC, but if you are feeling a little more adventuress then you might want to try BB's lawn side BBQ..

My 3 favorites right now are Blind Box Bbq, The Woodyard and Roscoe's. I did just have the best beans I've had at a little shack on Kaw drive called Jones BBQ.

Jack stack to me is like commercial bbq..went there last week to give it another shot and it everything tasted like it was made way beforehand.

Gates- Taste much more like backyard BBQ. My favorite.

Q39- fancy smancy...not bad for what it is though.

Kansas City Joes- like it better than both q39 and jack stack, but don't care too much for the ribs. almost too soft.

Woodyard is great. BB's Lawnside isn't too bad either but Joe's is always my first choice. I've lived in KC all my life and still haven't been to every joint.

My 3 favorites right now are Blind Box Bbq, The Woodyard and Roscoe's. I did just have the best beans I've had at a little shack on Kaw drive called Jones BBQ.

Good call on Blind Box, I always forget about them but they have a sandwich called "The Notorious P.I.G." and it's heaven in a bun. Starts out with slices sausage on the bottom, then pulled pork, then shells and cheese, then friend onion strings, and some sauce. It's soooo good.

I was just looking at pictures on google for Q39. It doesn't seem like my type of place at all. I lived in Austin TX for a number of years, so I kind of like those old joints with smoke stained walls - you walk in and smell 50 years of smoke in the furniture.

Looking through google it seems like KC is filled with BBQ restaurants - not so much meat market style bbq.

Last edited:
Well if you care more about the way a place looks than how the food tastes....cant help you there.

If you want some of the best Kansas City style BBQ that the city has to offer, that's the place.

If you want the "meat market" style, Arthur Bryants is probably the closest to that. It's pretty meh though compared to what you can get at other places.

Last edited:
To me I don't think of bbq as restaurants being brought up on Cen-Tex bbq, but I guess that's how KC rolls. Thanks for all the recommendations - much appreciated!

Gates is where I go for a 'fast food bbq' fix. Jack Stack is what I grew up on, and it's still a big favorite of ours. I will only go to the one in Martin City though. At all the other locations I've sent back food and left disappointed. LC's is really good, and I need to go there more often. It has the vibe that SteveKing is talking about.

I tried Plowboys last week, after having read about it on here, and using nearly a full jug of their seasoning. I really really enjoyed that place, and can't wait to go back.

I also live in the KC area and haven't been to too many of the BBQ restaurants, but I'll post what I know.

Jack Stack - I like Jack Stack. It is definitely a nicer restaurant setting and NOT a hole in the wall type place. The normal stuff (pulled pork, pork ribs, brisket, etc.) is OK, but the prime beef ribs, the lamb ribs, and their beans are really good. They have the best beans I've ever had.

Q39 - My family loves Q39. The brisket is the best I've had at a restaurant. They also have great burnt ends. I've never had a meal there I didn't love. It is like Jack Stack in that it is also a nicer restaurant setting and NOT a hole in the wall type place.

Arthur Bryant's - This has been my least favorite place. I didn't go to the main/original location, and I've heard that better, but my experience was not great.

Gates - I've been to Gates a few times. I like it. It's OK/good. It is more of a run down and informal type setting. You need to know what you want when you get to the counter to order though :) My family does not love it, and we probably won't go back because of that. I really like their BBQ sauce. Their spicy sauce is good.

Smoking Guns - I thought it was OK. Nothing special when I went. My dad really liked it though...

Joe's Kansas City - I love Joe's. Their burnt ends rival Q39's and are really good, but I think they only sell burnt ends a couple days a week. The Z-man sandwich is great. It has sliced brisket, some BBQ sauce, smoked provolone, and onion rings. Good stuff. If you go to the original location it is in an old gas station, so if you're not looking for a restaurant type setting that is a good option, but there will be some wait/lines usually.

Plowboys - This place is close by where I live and, like many people, I have been using their rubs for a while. I thought it was pretty good. I liked their ribs a lot and their BBQ nachos are pretty good.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I think I've been to a few others...

Enjoy!

I was just looking at pictures on google for Q39. It doesn't seem like my type of place at all. I lived in Austin TX for a number of years, so I kind of like those old joints with smoke stained walls - you walk in and smell 50 years of smoke in the furniture.

Looking through google it seems like KC is filled with BBQ restaurants - not so much meat market style bbq.

Ok you like a bbq joint...me too!!

So my suggestion would be Slaps in kck. Try it and you'll thank me later.

http://www.slapsbbqkc.com/

Back