Valentine's Day Eve dinner

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
It's become a tradition that I cook a "special meal" for the family for Valentine's Day...usually the weekend before or after v-day. The Chiefs being in the Superbowl this year meant we did that on Sunday, so I made the "special meal" tonight - Valentine's Day Eve.

Costco had lobster tails on sale for $15 off per package, so I bought the lowest weight package I could find to maximize my discount :becky:, these came out to about $4 per tail. I also snagged some beef filets - a family fav. My wife picked up a potato variety bag from sprouts, and we had ourselves a meal.

The potatoes received a MSU medley of seasonings...fresh ground black pepper, some salt, paprika, garlic powder, a little cayenne, and some Italian herb seasoning. I decided to cook these in cast iron on the grill, frying them in beef tallow I rendered from brisket trimmings.

I decided to halve the loster tails and cook on the half shell. Makes it easier to retain the buttery goodness. The basting mix was bone marrow butter from a local artisan butcher shop, garlic, and more Italian herb seasoning.

Rounding out the lineup was some beef tenderloin filets, seasoned with Himalayan sea salt

The potatoes were great, they got nice and crispy on the outside and tender on the inside...a hint of beefiness from the tallow. The lobster tails were the perfect addition, each half was like a large....very tasty shrimp. This meal was a real treat.

And some Costco chocolate covered strawberries for the ladies. I had a little more bourbon for dessert instead :thumb:

You absolutely nailed every element of that meal, and it looks outstanding!! No doubt in my mind that everyone that sat down at that table felt very special at the end of the night.

Everything looks great, as others have mentioned, but was that beef tallow rendered over a live fire in the middle of driving rain or snow; with you barefooted, up the hill to the smokehouse? That could change things.....:-D

Awesome looking meal, well done!

Everything looks great, as others have mentioned, but was that beef tallow rendered over a live fire in the middle of driving rain or snow; with you barefooted, up the hill to the smokehouse? That could change things.....:-D

Awesome looking meal, well done!

Thanks! No no, the tallow was just rendered in my oven all boring like, probably while I was preoccupied with something else. :becky:

Back