THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I would just walk away.
Sometimes no is just the right thing to say.

I know the lady and she is very nice. In all honesty if you knew what he did to her and her family the damage she did to his most prized possession is not as much as what she should have done

I know the lady and she is very nice. In all honesty if you knew what he did to her and her family the damage she did to his most prized possession is not as much as what she should have done

Well that said, I would have a "It's Gone Party"
Invite them all over and destroy that thing in the driveway!
Not a whole lot of value in the condition it's in. Just finish it off!
I hope both her and the family have better times ahead.

Guess there's always two sides to every story. You never know, but the sacrifice of this cooker may have been... necessary. Ultimately its just a thing.

Just had a thought. You know how kamodos give off huge fireballs if they are not "burped? Well maybe this can be used to film warning videos. Saw one on youtube like that. Set up a camera, let it rip to a 1000 deg, and remotely pop the top , and see how much of a fireball you get. Everyone wins!

Talking with Dennis I think it can be saved. I will use Rutland refractory cement to fill in gauges. I will go get a dremel to carefully remove every broken tile. Dennis is going to send me new tiles as well as a latch as that is broke. I will grind off welds on latch and re attach the new one. Looks like for some money in parts and an a** load of time and beer I can get it back to like new condition. I feel like would be a nice journey for the brethren to follow.

I will grind off welds on latch and re attach the new one. Looks like for some money in parts and an a** load of time and beer I can get it back to like new condition. I feel like would be a nice journey for the brethren to follow.

I'd follow that! Rebirth: From pain to glory! :). You might pick up some new skills too.

So why is it that the latch needs to be ground off? Is it cast into the cement?

Looking forward to following this thread.

The upper latch has two spot welds to hold it in place. The lower latch is bolted on. Perhaps join the Komodo Kamado forum. There is a member ckreef who has done this fix on a KK before he can walk you through it. Once you add the new tile and grout you will never know

Alright so tonight was the first time I saw it in person and man is there an a** load of work to be done. There are 3 deep gauges between 1-2" deep that will need to be filled with refractory cement. I just placed an order with rutland for this. Need a new thermo. Latch closes and lock its just bent all out of wack. I am wondering if I super heat it with a torch if I can bend it back. There are roughly 500 tiles that need to be replaced. A lot of these are just 1 or 2 in a location where the head of the hammer hit. Would a dremel be the best to cut these out individually? Thought about drilling out center of each broken tile and just increasing size of the bit and then chip away the corners. All in all I have mixed emotions about acquiring it as I know it is going to take forever to get back to its glory days but when/if it does get there I will be able to appreciate it a lot more. I will keep this thread going through out the rebuild/rebirth and welcome any insight or ideas a long the way. I am very good at building things and am anal about detail so hopefully turns out ok. I will post complete photos inside and out once I get it hauled back to my place in the next day or so so everyone can see the extent of what I am working with.

Dennis would be able to tell you the best way to remove the tiles. The grout gets soft when the KK is hot so that it can expand. That might be a way to get them off - start up the grill and heat soak it.

Then a small screwdriver should be able to pop them out - and you won't accidentally damage more tiles in the process. Check with Dennis.

The tile work will take some time, but won't be hard to do.

For the latch, you should be able to take the old one off and get a new one from Dennis. A Dremel would get the old one off.

Again, I'd check with Dennis for each of the processes. No one will know better than him.

Alright havent posted on here since acquiring it. I posted a full progree on KK forum but thought I would share some pics here. As of now I have all broken tiles off the grill as well as all deep cuts filled in with rutland refractory cement. I tried to bend the latch back and it broke. I then straightened the best I could and welded in place then grinded down and shaped it best I could. Not 100% complete but close. Only real problem I ran into was the cap had a large crack thru it from a hammer hit. I came up with a creative solution and will post outcome later.

BTW I didnt post it as I didnt have grill in my posession yet but I paid $200 for everything

efoSvSb.jpg

VVwf7CO.jpg

ZVkfZ2G.jpg

9kXfRMF.jpg

Aat9iA5.jpg

zxnxaVY.jpg

Crazy good project for $200. :thumb: Nice score!!

I'm subscribed.

Yeah, decent price. Makes one less timid at just jumping in and doing it.

After doing the initial work, do you think your repair estimates will hold? You probably saved a bunch of money on that latch. Looks like a lot of tiles had to come off, but they are probably cheap compared to the other hardware.

I believe estimates made this well worth it. Outside of the $100 I spent on a dremel which I will be able to use in many other projects my only other expenses are:

Thermo - $26
Guru Plug - $42
Gasket - $58
Tiles & Grout - probably $250.
So total investment on the grill is around $600. I am happy with that.

Ouch that physically hurts to look at. C word...

Edited to add....looks like the repair process is underway. Looking forward to seeing this through. Nice score for cheap$$.

That's a steal imo. A little work, a few beers, and little money and you will have this thing up and running. Great score!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A very good price, if you *don't* take into consideration the time you are investing to make it presentable again.

On a related note, I noticed that both here and at the KK thread, that Dennis, Dennis, Dennis is mentioned again, again, and again. Don't lean on him *too* hard!

I would have bought it for $200 in a heart beat. Once it's done, the pride you have in it will make is all the more worthwhile.

Hey Schmoke. Sorry for not staying on top of this. Completely forgot I posted this in the Brethren forum as well as the KK. To give everyone an update the delay has been due to getting replacement parts. The parts were sitting at customs in Indonesia for a while waiting to be cleared. They have finally made it to Jacksonville and will pick them up at USPS tomorrow morning. In all there were over 900 broken tiles and roughly 9 areas where I had to fill in refractory cement. I they also shipped me roughly 15lbs of the grout material as well as the mat that covers the insulation layer. After going thru the entire grill I noticed that the top was cracked all the way thru. Lucky for me the crack ran along the lines of the interior metal skeleton that the threaded rod is attached to. I used a dremel and ground out long areas until the metal was exposed. I then tack welded flat bar to the metal skeleton within the refractory cement. I then connected both sides and finally welded to the threaded rod. Afterwards I filled in all areas with refractory cement. I refinished the side tables with a distressed look. I am planning on doing a lot of work on it Wed and will try and get pictures up then

Back