New guy joining the party here. Got 2 drums today that had ethylene glycol (antifreeze) in them. Inside looks like clean steel so plan is to clean with Dawn a few times then burn the snot out of them. Will this work??
She won't be pretty but I will post pics when done and maybe a few along the way.

Last edited:
New guy joining the party here. Got 2 drums today that had ethylene glycol (antifreeze) in them. Inside looks like clean steel so plan is to clean with Dawn a few times then burn the snot out of them. Will this work??
She won't be pretty but I will post pics when done and maybe a few along the way.

Mine had gear oil in it I soaked it in water and dish soap then pressure washed it. Burned about 4 pallets in it and it's been fine, red hot fires that took all the paint off the outside. I'm not sure about antifreeze though some will give more insight so consider this a bump.

My second UDS build is officially underway, going stainless this time! Picked up this beauty a couple days ago

IMG_0046.jpg

Scrubbed it up to get all the gunk off and got my kettle lid to fit (which was a PITA). The lid is simply propped on top of the barrel in this pic, I didn't get an updated pic but I had to cut a 2" band off the bottom of the kettle and fix it to the rim of the barrel to get it to sit properly.

IMG_0049.jpg

Still planning on adding wheels, a wooden side table, and lid hinges (in addition to all the standard UDS hardware). Will probably post a thread when I finish the barrel but I like the look of it so far. Thinking about naming it the piggy bank :mrgreen:

My second UDS build is officially underway, going stainless this time! Picked up this beauty a couple days ago

IMG_0046.jpg

Scrubbed it up to get all the gunk off and got my kettle lid to fit (which was a PITA). The lid is simply propped on top of the barrel in this pic, I didn't get an updated pic but I had to cut a 2" band off the bottom of the kettle and fix it to the rim of the barrel to get it to sit properly.

IMG_0049.jpg

Still planning on adding wheels, a wooden side table, and lid hinges (in addition to all the standard UDS hardware). Will probably post a thread when I finish the barrel but I like the look of it so far. Thinking about naming it the piggy bank :mrgreen:
Nice setup so far. How did you attach the cut off piece to your drum for the lid to work on the drum? Also, what is your plan for the wheels? Drum dolly, threaded axle, flange with pipe nipple and holes drilled through the nipple?!?!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Nice setup so far. How did you attach the cut off piece to your drum for the lid to work on the drum? Also, what is your plan for the wheels? Drum dolly, threaded axle, flange with pipe nipple and holes drilled through the nipple?!?!

Thanks! I used 12 screws evenly spaced around the drum to attatch the flange to the barrel. I put a rope gasket between the barrel and flange to fill the gap, and will probably further seal it with a high temp silicone because I can still feel the rope gasket isn't quite as tight as I want it.

For the wheels, I'm going to try using the set of wheels from the kettle I'm using for the lid (I'm hoping the finished barrel won't be too heavy for the plastic wheels, we shall see). I'm going to ask a buddy of mine to weld the axle to the bottom lip of my drum on one side and a pipe nipple opposite the axle (on the flat bottom, not the lip) as a kickstand/leg/whatever else you wanna call it.

My opinion on a drum dolly, I have my current UDS on a drum dolly and I find it inconvenient for my needs. My back yard has a deck that's about an 8" step up from my patio, a step the my barrel has to travel across virtually every time I move it. In order to do so I have to take the drum off its dolly, put the dolly up on the deck (or down on the patio) then place my barrel back on the dolly. I'm figuring a hand truck style of transportation will be more convenient for maneuvering up/down steps. Just my .02 from my experience

Thanks! I used 12 screws evenly spaced around the drum to attatch the flange to the barrel. I put a rope gasket between the barrel and flange to fill the gap, and will probably further seal it with a high temp silicone because I can still feel the rope gasket isn't quite as tight as I want it.

For the wheels, I'm going to try using the set of wheels from the kettle I'm using for the lid (I'm hoping the finished barrel won't be too heavy for the plastic wheels, we shall see). I'm going to ask a buddy of mine to weld the axle to the bottom lip of my drum on one side and a pipe nipple opposite the axle (on the flat bottom, not the lip) as a kickstand/leg/whatever else you wanna call it.
I've seen a few that have done the lid mod the same way. Saw someone else rivet a piece of flat stock to the drum also for the kettle lid to sit on. As for the wheels I was going to bolt a black iron pipe flange on the bottom of the drum (in the recess, close to the lip) and use a 2" nipple drilled to allow a shaft. Cotter pins, washers, and some pressure washer wheels or something heavy duty. Then do the flange and a capped nipple in the front of the drum as a kickstand or a third leg so to speak. 3 points of contact and should be solid as a rock!!

I thought about doing the lid mod. I have a kettle that I don't use too often. I really like the idea of the hinged lid. Might just get the hinge for my flat lid.

Main reason I want the kettle lid is for a second cooking rack. I only have room for a diffuser and one rack on my flat lid barrel.

Can't wait till the day I fill this one up with 8 butts :mrgreen:

Main reason I want the kettle lid is for a second cooking rack. I only have room for a diffuser and one rack on my flat lid barrel.

Can't wait till the day I fill this one up with 8 butts :mrgreen:
My top grate is 3" from the top and the second is 9" from the top. Flat lid, so probly only ribs on the top rack. Should be able to squeeze some beer can chickens on the lower rack.
My next build will have the adjustable shelving brackets, no uprights on my valves, and I will do either 2 1" ball valves or 1 2" ball valve.

On page 171 but couldn't wait any longer. Actually I built this while I was on like 140 but who's counting.

Having trouble keeping it under 300*. However I have only done one burn to season the barrel so we will see this weekend when she gets some meat on her.
It may be the old thermometer so I ordered a Maverick remote thermometer.
Also have a plate to cover exhaust if necessary.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this awesome thread! :thumb:
I have never smoked anything in my life, meat wise :mrgreen:, so this will be all new to me.

Attachments

• 20170129_133816_resized.jpg
    20170129_133816_resized.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 471
Main reason I want the kettle lid is for a second cooking rack. I only have room for a diffuser and one rack on my flat lid barrel. Can't wait till the day I fill this one up with 8 butts :mrgreen:
I have 3 grates, one for a diffuser or drip pan. 2 cooking grates with just under 6" clearance for both grates, use 4- 6" carriage bolts for legs for. Using a flat lid. No adjustable grates. No tipping of grates to rotate the grates when required. Diffuser bolts are 15" up from the bottom. I use a 17"round by 8"H coal basket on 3 inch bolts for legs. Thanks N8man!

When new, looking down thru the 3 grates into the coal basket.

Diffuser

Rotating/removed cooking grates

4-10lb butts, you could fit more and/or buy smaller butts.

Just a thought.

I have 3 grates, one for a diffuser or drip pan. 2 cooking grates with just under 6" clearance for both grates, use 4- 6" carriage bolts for legs for. Using a flat lid. No adjustable grates. No tipping of grates to rotate the grates when required. Diffuser bolts are 15" up from the bottom. I use a 17"round by 8"H coal basket on 3 inch bolts for legs. Thanks N8man!

My charcoal basket is about 2x as high as yours but a few inches narrower. Thus, only room for one cooking grate. Should have though about going with a shorter basket once I decided on a flat lid. That's all in the past now though :mrgreen: onto the dome lid

I start mine with about 15 briquettes, catch your temp on the come up. Too many coals in the chimney make for difficult temp adjustment.

On page 171 but couldn't wait any longer. Actually I built this while I was on like 140 but who's counting.

Having trouble keeping it under 300*. However I have only done one burn to season the barrel so we will see this weekend when she gets some meat on her.
It may be the old thermometer so I ordered a Maverick remote thermometer.
Also have a plate to cover exhaust if necessary.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this awesome thread! :thumb:
I have never smoked anything in my life, meat wise :mrgreen:, so this will be all new to me.
Sounds like an air leak for sure

First smoke complete

Chicken came out a little salty in spots, brine was probably a little too rich in salt, but I consider it a success. 7.5 lb. chicken took 4+ hours. Turkey leg was above 180* but that did not hurt it one bit. The log will be partially consumed at breakfast this morning.
Cooked between 325 & 350*.
Thanks to all who post here I could not have done it without this thread.

Attachments

• 20170204_151352_resized.jpg
    20170204_151352_resized.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 386
  • 20170204_163852_resized.jpg
    20170204_163852_resized.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 388
  • FB_IMG_1486255050376_resized.jpg
    FB_IMG_1486255050376_resized.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 386
Chicken came out a little salty in spots, brine was probably a little too rich in salt, but I consider it a success. 7.5 lb. chicken took 4+ hours. Turkey leg was above 180* but that did not hurt it one bit. The log will be partially consumed at breakfast this morning.
Cooked between 325 & 350*.
Thanks to all who post here I could not have done it without this thread.
Looks good. What's up with the rebar, the straps, and the cable?? There's a whole lot going on there lol

Back