THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It might be easier to build something like this. I don't use it much any more but it works just like a UDS but it is 1/4" thick 20" x 52" pipe and has all the features you listed. The only changes I would make is to center the exhaust stack, use a ball valve for the intake and add more racks. The top 2 racks are 12" apart. There is a bar to hang sausage and a rack right above the charcoal basket that allows you to grill. This should satisfy Fwismoker's requirements for an all in 1 cooker.:laugh:

Thats definatly doable. I even have the 20" air tank that would work.
A question though, about some of the other smokers in the other posts. Why are they all insulated? Is it just to help keep the heat in better. There is no issue with my uds keeping temps. I was just thinking of a square box (uds sizeish) with a couple doors in the front. One big compartment like the uds and one door for acsess to the meat and one acsess to the coals.

Insulation makes them more fuel efficient as there is less heat loss and shorter temperature recovery time after opening the door...

Thats definatly doable. I even have the 20" air tank that would work.
A question though, about some of the other smokers in the other posts. Why are they all insulated? Is it just to help keep the heat in better. There is no issue with my uds keeping temps. I was just thinking of a square box (uds sizeish) with a couple doors in the front. One big compartment like the uds and one door for acsess to the meat and one acsess to the coals.

There's one company making a big sqaure box - single walled but it has a flip top lid so loads from top like UDS with burn basket in bottom. People say they work well. .....

DWFisk's build I linked to will run on a charcoal/wood chunk basket like a UDS - they just prefer to stick burn in it.

that filing cabinet is genius! but they ruined it with that disgusting orange and longhorn symbol.......

lol yea itll be congrats when i get it....i ordered it about a month or 2 ago...they said they wont start on it til end of august if im lucky lol

There are several guys that have built them. They make it look easy. Someone will post a link.

Mine is an Abe's Smokers 48" Entertainer. It is a great smoker. It looks great, cooks great and will probably outlast me. But like Smitty said the builder is not reliable. He has barely been in business for more than a year or so. He doesn't always deliver what he promises. He sells a ton of smokers and there are a lot of happy customers but there are also customers that have had to wait on missing pieces. I got in right before his business took off and I would do it again for the price I negotiated. He has made a couple of design changes that me and a few others here suggested. I could have almost bought 2 of them for what it costs for the same size Backwoods Smoker and about $900 less than the Humphrey's Pint (once you add the extras and shipping). I'm a cheap sob and my money is more valuable than my time or patience. Ask my wife....she won't go anywhere near a car dealership with me.:wacko:

As much as it pains me to admit this...Smitty was right. Abe's has gone down hill. I just got a pm from someone that just got their Abe's and it has more issues than just missing parts. It's almost unusable. Stay far away from these. The quality is not there like it was in the beginning. Missing pieces is one thing but a cooker that doesn't function properly is a whole other thing!

Ok fellas I have been soaking it all in. Sorry I haven't replied until now cause I lost the thread..lol. Anyway Smitty linked dwfisks vertical build which I really like. Plus I can get steel casing pipe in basically for free cause I sale steel casing pipe. I am thinking 26" and getting .250" wall or maybe something thicker if possible. here are a few more questions.

1.) Does thicker wall cookers help or hurt getting to and maintaining temps?
2.) 26" is not real common but can be found. 24" to me is a bit small but would 30" be too large?

1/4" is good for the cook chamber any thicker and you get to the point where it takes more fuel to get to and maintain temps. If you can get thicker for the firebox then that would be nice.

Pipe size depends on what you cook and how big your biggest cooks will be. 30" would allow plenty of room for 2 racks and tons of meat.

Back