UDS Prices.... What is fair?

I have been making and selling UDS for a few years now and I get $250 out of them without much hesitation. I don't make a lot of money on them and feel for the amount of custom parts I make I could ask $300 easy without feeling bad.

This is what I am selling now, all custom and fabricated by me:
2 grill grates
Charcoal basket
Slide intake
Custom hinges for either a dome or flat lid
Side table
Wheels and legs for portability
High temp primer and paint (hand sanded)

I can't work on them 24 hours a day with this pesky thing called a full time job lol. I can usually finish one in a week only working a few hours here and there. I do them more of a hobby but like to get a few dollars in the pocket too. Wouldn't mind turning this into more of a part time business tho.

This was a recent build I did.

That was $250? Really? :clap:

How far is KY from DC? Can you do those in Oakland Raiders colors?

Ok.... I told the man $150 plus materials. He will have $225-$250 in it. I can basically build one of these easily on a Saturday working at an easy pace while drinking beer and watching football in my shop. So I look at it this way. Who wouldn't want to go out in the garage / shop, tinker with man toys , build a cooking device, drink beer, watch sports, BS with your buddies and make $150 on a Saturday?????

That doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. For you and for him.

and...

Make sure you put up a photo.

Last edited:
I've got probably $200 in mine as it is. All bolt-on stuff, no welds, blasted inside, not burned, original paint job that came on the barrel, adjustable shelves, 2 grates, flat lid. I wouldn't sell it, but I would make one just like it for $300. Minus the side table unless I could come up with a reasonable plan for one.

coachmccoy543, you don't make a bolt-on version of that hinge do you? I've looked at the unknownbbq hinges, but find it hard to swallow their price.

I agree w/ what most have posted here in that you need to figure out your costs and labor time. Costs for components and materials differ across the country. I built mine for approx $250.00/ea and a few cases of beer. So I would say $300.00 is a fair price provided you are building a quality product. The worse they can say is no thanks.... Right. Good luck.

Hinges

I don't have a bolt on design that I made but if you send me a pm I can email you some that I found online that could be made cheap and easy.
Thanks!
I've got probably $200 in mine as it is. All bolt-on stuff, no welds, blasted inside, not burned, original paint job that came on the barrel, adjustable shelves, 2 grates, flat lid. I wouldn't sell it, but I would make one just like it for $300. Minus the side table unless I could come up with a reasonable plan for one.

coachmccoy543, you don't make a bolt-on version of that hinge do you? I've looked at the unknownbbq hinges, but find it hard to swallow their price.

Here it is in action that the customer sent to me. I get as much reward knowing that they work great and people love cooking on them as I do making some extra cash.

Enjoy!

Very nice looking build! Do you do a power coat finish?

Coachmccoy543.....I love that welded grate! I think I'm going to fab one just like it for myself. I'll be able to load more chicken wings on that grate...:))

Grill Grate

No problem. I use 3/4 x 1/8 flat stock for the sides. Bought a cheap ring roller from harbor freight that works really good for this. #9 x 3/4 expanded steel. I made a plywood circle template to use so I don't have to measure all the tim. I think it is 21 1/2 or 22 inch diameter. The handles are made of 3/16 round bar welded on the inside. I can make one in about 20 mins now. One thing that might not be visible in the pic is I put a slight bend on the handles so that there is room to grab it and not hit your hands on the side of the drum.
Hope this helps.
Coachmccoy543.....I love that welded grate! I think I'm going to fab one just like it for myself. I'll be able to load more chicken wings on that grate...:))

I built this one for another member for $300
And the casters alone cost $32 or so.
EVERY add on costs $
I am respectfully suggesting, OIFMARINE, that if you want to sell finished flattop UDS' for $200 all day you will be OUT of BUSINESS before you know it. Unless you get the drums for $8 :)
That will add $20 per drum to your bottom line. If you pay $38 per drum, and sell your finished product (flat lid) them for $200...
You think Warren Buffett would agree to that? That would be nope.
How much do brand new drums w/lids per 1000 cost?
I've seen them shipped - they can't stack them like dixie cups, there's alot of air in a truck shipping barrels and lids.

A few months back when the PBC was selling for $269, several folks on this site were saying that it was over it was over priced and that you would be silly to buy one instead of making your own UDS. PBC haS since raised their price to $289, which I think is still a great deal considering it includes two bottles of rub, packaging and shipping and you can talk to the owner any time you like.

This thread provides further evidence that the PBC is a great deal.

Back