New member saying hello

Actonusa

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
Randolph
Thank you so much for the invite to the group.

I have never been without some sort of a BBQ but after selling my New Braunfels offset a few years ago I have been without a smoker.

I have loved my Akorn and Kamander as grills but not impressed with the low and slow abilities.

I have had the itch for some time to build a UDS and after lurking here for awhile I have decided to do it. My left brain usually has me way over engineering (and spending) on projects so I have made the commitment to build with as little out of pocket as I can.

From what I could gather, two of the biggest expenses (if purchased ready to go) were the drum and the coal basket. I found a used once and washed drum for $10 (will need burn off and clean up), and after much searching have decided to use a 16" steel Dodge Charger rim for a coal basket ($10)

Being a bit of a pack rat I am going to repurpose some old 2" copper for the intakes and have stainless fittings for the exhaust. Also have enough 1" galvanized pipe and scrap 2x6 to make a rolling cart and 2 tiered side table.

Gift cards and Amazon cash back have allowed me to buy all other components as well as a TermPro 4 probe, grates and meat hangers.

So far total cash out of pocket is only $20.

Hope to get intake holes drilled and burn out done tomorrow. I will post pics then.

Thanks again for all the knowledge I have taken in so far.

Welocme Randolph,

You will find a ton of information on UDS build here. Looking forward to pictures and cooks headed this way.

Glad to have you here, Randolph. If you run into any issues or have any general questions, this is probably the most helpful bunch anywhere on the Internet. Good luck with your build and looking forward to those pictures.

Back