UDS and WSM

I love both my UDS and my 18.5 WSM but I tend to use the WSM more simply because of the convenience of the smaller size. Can't go wrong with either option though.

I have cooked on both, I prefer the wsm because I like the option of the water pan that comes with it and I do think it looks nice cleaned up. A uds is ugly. I do cook on the top grate right over the coals sometimes which is a lot like a uds, I have all 3 sizes of the wsm, I use the 14.5 most often it holds a fair bit of food and it will go the better part of a day on 1 bucket of lump

You Can't go wrong in whatever direction you choose. Don't wait till mid-summer take a run at it now!

Just to confuse you further, in the last three years I started out with a UDS, built a Mini, bought a Performer, then a Weber 26er and recently bought the 22" WSM. Oh, forgot the PBC to throw in the mix and the Backwoods G2 Chubby I just sold. I have smoked on each one and been thrilled with the outcomes.

Like others have said on this site, it's more about learning to build and control a fire and then learning your individual cooker. Each and every cooker has pros and cons and you are the only person that can weigh which one is best for you.

If I were to do it over again I'd start with the 26er, followed by the PBC, WSM, UDS, and the Mini. The only one I wouldn't buy again is the Backwoods, only because I didn't like screwing with the water pan. The next Backwoods or other vertical will have the built in drain or the slide out water pan.

You Can't go wrong in whatever direction you choose. Don't wait till mid-summer take a run at it now!

Just to confuse you further, in the last three years I started out with a UDS, built a Mini, bought a Performer, then a Weber 26er and recently bought the 22" WSM. Oh, forgot the PBC to throw in the mix and the Backwoods G2 Chubby I just sold. I have smoked on each one and been thrilled with the outcomes.

Like others have said on this site, it's more about learning to build and control a fire and then learning your individual cooker. Each and every cooker has pros and cons and you are the only person that can weigh which one is best for you.

If I were to do it over again I'd start with the 26er, followed by the PBC, WSM, UDS, and the Mini. The only one I wouldn't buy again is the Backwoods, only because I didn't like screwing with the water pan. The next Backwoods or other vertical will have the built in drain or the slide out water pan.

I'm not waiting until mid summer, I wanna have something by then. Hopefully sooner than later. I'm really liking the idea of building a wsm from the 18.5 like fwismoker did. But those PBCs are looking interesting too. Can you control the temp in those? I don't see any intake or exhaust vents. ....

Edit: not sure I'd like hanging the meat either. Just different to me. Seems like it'd fall off once the meat gets probe tender.....lol

I'm not waiting until mid summer, I wanna have something by then. Hopefully sooner than later. I'm really liking the idea of building a wsm from the 18.5 like fwismoker did. But those PBCs are looking interesting too. Can you control the temp in those? I don't see any intake or exhaust vents. ....

Edit: not sure I'd like hanging the meat either. Just different to me. Seems like it'd fall off once the meat gets probe tender.....lol

I actually added one of the UDS mods to my PBC. I changed out the short screw and nut for a longer spring loaded bolt with a few washers. It hold the vent where you want it. I can adjust mine and swing from the 225-275 range, pop the lid slightly and you have 325-350 for chicken! Hanging is easy and works well, there's a grate to use as well.

I just built a Hunsakers Smokers can. I've been using their Vortex Firebasket in my BPS and Big Drum Smoker clones and my 22" WSM. And it sold me on the design.

My vote - one of each! I have both and use them interchangeably. But ribs are always on the UDS, I just like how it cooks them.

Those Hunsaker cans look cool! Wonder how hard that would be to build. I need to look into what makes them different. They are way outta my price range for an original.

I wish I could have one of everything. ....lol. I think the wife would raise the BS flag on me though. :becky:

I never cooked on a a Bonifide WSM but I have cooked on an ECB and a UDS frequently. My take on it the UDS rules It will produce BBQ that in flavor is very close to Stick burner if used with out a diverter and can replicate a WSM if used with a Water Pan ( Why you would want to is to deep for me) If built properly the UDS can double as a Grill without busting your back. If I had to choose Id go with a UDS. 22 WSM 299 + UDS about 100 + lot of money left over for some Meat, Liquor, Cigars or Strippers.

Sugars & The Yellow Rose versus bullet and/or barrel. I've got a pretty drum smoker, but back when I entered that fray was told repeatedly (by non PBC owners of course) that my PBC is just a smaller UDS. I've owned two WSM's. They are fantastic cookers. But and I mean a big ol butt, if you take two identical cuts of meat, prep exactly the same, cook them both perfectly I swear you can tell the difference. Not good not bad not better not worse. But enough of a difference I prefer the roasted smoked flavor that my drum produces over the taste that my two WSM's produced.

Bear in mind I drink when I cook, I'm often sleep deprived 57 years old and still like to watch pretty ladies as they pass by.

I never cooked on a a Bonifide WSM but I have cooked on an ECB and a UDS frequently. My take on it the UDS rules It will produce BBQ that in flavor is very close to Stick burner if used with out a diverter and can replicate a WSM if used with a Water Pan ( Why you would want to is to deep for me) If built properly the UDS can double as a Grill without busting your back. If I had to choose Id go with a UDS. 22 WSM 299 + UDS about 100 + lot of money left over for some Meat, Liquor, Cigars or Strippers.

Lol! I like the way you think Bludawg! :thumb:

Sugars & The Yellow Rose versus bullet and/or barrel. I've got a pretty drum smoker, but back when I entered that fray was told repeatedly (by non PBC owners of course) that my PBC is just a smaller UDS. I've owned two WSM's. They are fantastic cookers. But and I mean a big ol butt, if you take two identical cuts of meat, prep exactly the same, cook them both perfectly I swear you can tell the difference. Not good not bad not better not worse. But enough of a difference I prefer the roasted smoked flavor that my drum produces over the taste that my two WSM's produced.

Bear in mind I drink when I cook, I'm often sleep deprived 57 years old and still like to watch pretty ladies as they pass by.

The more I read about those PBCs the more I become interested. Everyone who has one loves them. Of course every WSM owner I know loves that too. I may have the ability to get a slightly used less than a year old PBC for $150-$200. It's really got me thinking and I probably only have a day or two to think about it.

Seriously, they are both awesome cookers. My taste buds prefer the PBC but I promise you a WSM will make you a patio hero on par with the best restaurants. It's a choice. Really one only you can make. I like Jack Daniels my Wife likes creme tequila. They both get you there

If you want a cheap CL WSM- keep looking. Every once in a while you will see one posted by some ex wife or in-law for 50- 100 dollars. Oh-they will be gone in a heart beat... but they can be found. OR - you can build the UDS for $30-$100 (depending on what you can scrounge) on your schedule instead of a lucky CL listing. If you do find and buy a WSM on the cheap later- well- seems to me a man could have worse problems. Happy hunting sir.

No experience with a UDS, but from what I understand, they are great smokers. I have the 22.5 WSM, mainly because I do not consider myself handy enough to build a UDS. The WSM is a great smoker and it can be used as a grill in a pinch with some cheap mods. But now that I have had it a little over a year, I want more room without having to remove the top grate to get to the second grate. Hence, my LSG on order.

You won't go wrong with either a WSM or a UDS...

Actually I'm also considering a Pit barrel cooker. I think I may have access to a slightly used less than a year old one for almost half price. I haven't read a bad review from anyone about those..........ahh the decisions. ...lol

Sure you don't want to look at an LSG or Shirley while you are at it? :mrgreen:

I'd love one of those. Jbounds has been trying to talk me into getting a Shirley (he loves his SF for sure....lol) but that's way more smoker than I need and way more than I want to spend. I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm gonna be buying and selling pits until I really find "THE" smoker.....if that ever really happens :loco: I will always have my kettle. I may ditch the Akorn but we'll see. Now I'm looking for a barrel type smoker (wsm, pit barrel, uds possibly). We'll see where it goes from there but I have a feeling I'll end with having owned all of them at one point........ :becky:

Both are great cookers, but bang for buck I'd say UDS. I have both and love them both - they are tried and true. If I were in your position, I'd get a hold of the first one you see, then get the other one when you can. Blu makes some excellent points, except I think strippers should pay me rather than the other way around.

Back