Happy to be home!!!!

rwalters

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Robb
Holy SMOKES have I missed all y’alls!! Been away from my BBQ family far to long. Very much appreciate those of you that have reached out, just to check in on me :)

It all started several months ago when our oldest daughter (26) asked if I’d take her to pick up a gently used couch she had found on Marketplace. I obliged. Hooked up the trailer and off we went. When we arrived we met the sellers… a super nice couple, maybe in their early 60’s. Turns out the wife was an elementary school teacher like my daughter. They immediately hit it off and had a great conversation. During that conversation, the lady spoke highly about the school district she worked for and asked my daughter if she was happy at the district she works for, which she is. The lady went on to tell her about the culture, parental involvement, support and excellent pay that her district provides (excellent by public school standards… lol). This wasn’t in a bragging way, but more of a ‘I’ve been around the block a few times in my life’ and this district is hands down the best place I have ever worked.

Needless to say, on the way home I asked my daughter what she thought of that conversation. It piqued her interest but it’s clear she ain’t leaving the school she works at and loves. Totally understood and respected her position, but told her “ain’t no harm in looking”… lol. She did and there was nothing that grabbed her interest. I then said, “any chance they have any openings in Technology?” She replied, “there’s one.” Not thinking much about it, I asked her to read it to me while I drove. As she started reading, my jaw hit the floor board of her Honda Pilot. There was an opening, doing exactly what I had done in CA for 20+ years and absolutely LOVED! And get this, the pay was better than CA. To have CA+ pay in TN ain’t no joke. Now don’t get me wrong, this is still the public sector, so the pay ain’t crazy to begin with… lol.

I have worked in K-12 technology darn near my whole career. When we moved to TN 18 months ago, I landed a job with a nearby district in a different IT role, and ended up taking a significant pay cut… which we had prepped for prior to our move (it’s not uncommon when moving from CA to other states). So to see the possibility of a new IT role that I already knew I loved… and with CA pay, I knew I had to throw in my resume. This was on a Saturday, it took me about a week to update my resume and collect new letters of reference. I submitted everything the following Sunday at 9:30pm. The following day, while at work, my phone rang. I looked down and lo and behold it was “the district.” I answered and after a short conversation I was invited in for an interview the following week. Fast forward a week and I left that interview feeling like I had done fairly well. Well, the phone rang later that day, inviting me back for a second interview with the bigwigs. Ain’t gonna lie, I was a bit nervous. Went in for that second interview 4 days later and walked away with a fantastic job offer.

I have been with my new employer for 2.5 months now. I freaking love it so far. Very much a family like culture with rewarding work and a ton of vacation/holiday time off… lol. Very good work/life balance.

So that’s been the story over the past several months and why I just haven’t had much spare time to be Q’ing and talkin’ Q. This job has required me to buckle down and come up to speed as the guy I replaced had been there 15 years and had turned into a one man show leaving very little documentation/assistance behind. I just feel blessed that I was able to come in with years of experience under my belt :)

I now look back on that couch my daughter and I went to pick up and consider it a gift, an open door from God. Some would call it coincidence. I would differ!

Anywho, now that the dust is starting to settle, I am glad to be back, and can’t wait to catch up on the jillion posts I have probably missed… and join back in on the great conversations :)

Love the Brethren!!!

Last edited:
Glad to hear things are going good looking forward to some more of your cooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Outstanding! What kind of IT work you do? I started in IT when it was called DP. Do networking & security these days. Old mainframe guy.

And let's see some cooks!

Outstanding! What kind of IT work you do? I started in IT when it was called DP. Do networking & security these days. Old mainframe guy.

And let's see some cooks!

Man, sounds like we started off down the same path. I also started in DP, working with the HP3000’s. For the past 21 years I have moved into more of a DBA/analyst role, with heavy support of financial and student information systems in public education. Never in a million years would I have guessed this would be my career path. That being said, now I can’t imagine work I’d enjoy more. Well, maybe Q’ing full-time :)

Reading that gave me permasmile. You just made my day... or night... or whatever. Congratulations! You just made me very happy.

Absolutely awesome! I can't think of anyone more deserving.

Old DP / mainframe guy here, too. I'm still loving what I do.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Back