Two Shot Frito Pie

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Made a small 1# pot of chili using Gebhart Chili Seasoning recipe on the label.
Converted to Chile Beans with black beans and green Chile salsa (looked red to me but label says green :)) simmered for about an hour or so until the ingredients came together. Was still a tad thin and was hungry so added one third cup grits, stir stir stir, then simmer. Per cowgirl, two shots of Tequila, one for the pot one for the cook

Fritos, American Cheese, Chile Beans, Hot Sauce

Last edited:
eQWJUjr.jpg

Just checked on a CASI Chili site and Ghost Town Chili seasoning is still available via their email. Check the ingredients, salt is almost dead last, and is the last flavoring.

I realize some would never use anything but whole peppers, some have a mix they won't stray from --- but I really enjoy the flavor of this chili seasoning. It's low salt, but between, cheeses, Fritos, crackers etc it's nice to have control of salt. It's mild.
It's Ghost Town NOT ghost peppers.

Last edited:
I have always seasoned chili with 5 seasonings

cumin
oregano
paprika
cayenne
ancho chili powder

You can start with whole cumin seeds and toast the first 4 spices until they just begin to smoke strongly then grind, sift and regrind. Or you can cheat and use ground spices if you're short on time or willingness. I made a big pot of chili last week. My daughter and I each had a bowl for dinner. The next day my stepson came home from a long road trip hungry. Over the next 12 hours he ate all the rest, nearly a gallon. Many compliments but I still felt like grumbling because I love to take 2 or 3 day-old chili and combine it with clouds of ground white cheese to fill enchiladas for which I use homemade enchilada sauce made from dried pasilla and guajillo peppers. Bomb diggety!

Back