THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmokinAussie

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne
Name or Nickame
Bill
G'Day Bruces :becky:

Since it's getting bloody cold in downside up land, I booked in for a Salami course at a place close to me for a bit of a refresher. The last one I did was several years ago.

Well, I didn't learn much but went home fairly inspired to do some curing "old style". That is without Cure #2. I figured the bloke teaching the course was not dead yet, so why not!

P-20220704-171714.jpg

Started with a pork neck and a belly which I coated in plain old salt for 48 hours... as you can see here with the fluid running out to the bottom of the tray.

After 2 days it looked like this:
P-20220704-172303.jpg

I made a simple rub to coat: NO SALT! The salting is already done.
P-20220704-174533.jpg

Nicely mixed up:
P-20220704-174651.jpg

For the pork neck, which is to be copocollo I soaked collagen sheeting in red wine.
P-20220704-174750.jpg

Wrapped it up.
P-20220704-180140.jpg

Got my netting on the "bazooka" (Much harder than I thought).
P-20220704-180622.jpg

Fed it through.
P-20220704-180801.jpg

The pancetta, I just rubbed and hang it with one of my Chinese chicken hooks with a length of dowel to push the hooks apart. Pretty handy.
Both look pretty good hanging now in the shed.
P-20220704-181130.jpg

I got a thermometer / hygrometer as well just to check how it's gonna go. This is a 3 month exercise by the looks of it with daily monitoring for the wrong kind of mould. Never quite done anything like this before so I really don't know how it's going to go.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated.

Cheers!

Bill

Are you just going by feel "old school" as to when it's ready?
A lot of people take starting weight and expect to lose XX% weight and call it done.

Looks good - good luck!

Are you just going by feel "old school" as to when it's ready?
A lot of people take starting weight and expect to lose XX% weight and call it done.

Looks good - good luck!

Pretty much that's it. I weighed them after the cure. Probably should have weighed them before. In any case I will be able to tell by feel and I'm looking for approx 30-35% weight loss.

I like that chicken hook and dowel idea. Every so often I struggle with the best way to hang something. :thumb:

Had those chicken hangers forever. Was a no brainer.:idea:

Bill

Back