Trying new Rib glaze

MaxBobcat

Knows what a fatty is.
I got the book "Smokin' with Myron Mixon" for my birthday this past Friday, and I found some sauces and a glaze I wanted to try this weekend. It turned out to be beautiful and sunny today, so I went down and bought two nice 4lb racks of whole spare ribs.

Started by trimming them to St. Louis style and then rubbing down with peanut oil.

U1vUyTkl.jpg

Rubbed with my own rib rub recipe:

3 tbsp Kosher Salt
2 tbsp Chili Powder
2 tbsp Paprika
1 tbsp Ground Cumin
1 tbsp Granulated Garlic Powder
1 tbsp Granulated Onion Powder
3 tbsp #16 Mesh Black Pepper
1/2 TSP Cayenne Pepper

mSyJ9Xal.jpg

I got the WSM chugging along using the typical Minion method. Used B&B. It is good Oak lump. A lil sparky while it lights, but burns long and even once it settles in. Used about 6 chunks of Apple wood for smoke. Cooked the whole time between ~275-300F.

WXQmpzml.jpg

Ribs went on around 1:30ish.

0aID51Hl.jpg

Whipped up a batch of Myron's vinegar sauce: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/jacks-old-south-competition-vinegar-sauce-recipe.html

2 cups cider vinegar
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons brown sugar
4 teaspoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne
1 to 2 teaspoons ground black pepper

BhzRp3Yl.jpg

Brushed the vinegar sauce on the ribs to help keep them moist before I wrapped.

fiaZTTol.jpg

SQqcrOGl.jpg

After about 2h15m in the smoke, took the ribs off and wrapped them. Brown sugar, more rib rub, parkay, and more of the vinegar sauce went into the wrap.

uFGcEDHl.jpg

dx1rPo3l.jpg

Ribs were put back onto the smoker and I went inside to make the glaze from Myron's book called "Hog glaze". It was really simple, 1 part of the the vinegar sauce, 1 part Apple Jelly, and 1 part Light corn syrup. Mixing together...

63jrumkl.jpg

Ribs were wrapped for about 1h45m and I felt like they were getting done, so I unwrapped them and started putting down the hog glaze for the finishing stage.

9YyFNO9l.jpg

Hog glazy goodness

Jww5q3pl.jpg

Let the glaze set for 20 minutes on the smoker and pulled off to let rest for another 15 inside. Finally pulled off around 6:15.

4qucKesl.jpg

Somebody wanted to help with the ribs...

zfby1D6l.jpg

Sliced up...

R1ppm0Zl.jpg

The girlfriend used Myron's potato salad recipe as well...turned out really good!

xOouih9l.jpg

Plated..... the Hog glaze was sweet and vinegary. These ribs were really good. These were definitely a mixture of a lot of different bbq styles...Used my Texas-influenced pork rib rub, mixed with the brown sugar wrap that I often think of as kind of Kansas-cityish, and then the vinegar sauce which is more of a Memphis style wet rib....overall, this rib was really well-balanced and really good.

YHRoXtel.jpg

Thanks for looking! :becky:

Back