Name or Nickame
John W
Yoder grill top rack 225 degrees BBQ Delight Comp mix

1 Tri Tip "untrimmed"

10-12 hours

wrapped after 5 hours in paper when color and texture was achieved

1-2 hour rest

Phenomenal

I have done this before with a trimmed tri tip but untrimmed is the way to go....Good Lord. Get a nice untrimmed fatty and score the fat cap in 1" squares and then season with your favorite....The only fat I cut off was some silver skin and jagged edges of fat....otherwise I let it all render

Good advice. We normally trim pretty aggressively. Next time I make a trisket, this is gonna happen!

Matt

Yoder grill top rack 225 degrees BBQ Delight Comp mix

1 Tri Tip "untrimmed"

10-12 hours

wrapped after 5 hours in paper when color and texture was achieved

10-12 hours didn't turn it into a brick? I have smoked tri-tips on my GMG for years and we love em, but at 225 the IT hits 125-130 in a couple hours. Tri tip is pretty lean and does not have much in the way of internal fat to justify the long cook. I know the fat cap can get VERY thick on some of the untrimmed ones, but I am surprised it was enough to keep the whole thing from becoming jerky in that amount of time. I am gonna have to give that a go next time I have a long cook scheduled. I honestly didn't think that would work. Hell, learn something new everyday!:-D

10-12 hours didn't turn it into a brick? I have smoked tri-tips on my GMG for years and we love em, but at 225 the IT hits 125-130 in a couple hours. Tri tip is pretty lean and does not have much in the way of internal fat to justify the long cook. I know the fat cap can get VERY thick on some of the untrimmed ones, but I am surprised it was enough to keep the whole thing from becoming jerky in that amount of time. I am gonna have to give that a go next time I have a long cook scheduled. I honestly didn't think that would work. Hell, learn something new everyday!:-D

I`m in NorCal and have done tri tips about once a week for the last 20 + years and I was right there with you. I cringed at the thought of taking a tip past 125 or 130 max IT. I came across a video and decided to give it a go. It took about 4 hours to get around 140 IT and I wrapped it. (video I watched suggested wrapping at 165 but I liked the color at 140). Seemed to stall all day between 140 and 160 and I was getting nervous but when it finally hit 198-200 I had to pull it off. Probe went in like butter. My oldest son had to leave for his house so I cut the roast in half through the paper, wrapped it in foil and gave it to him to enjoy at home which took him about an hour and half driving time. His text to me later that night said, "Without a single doubt worth every second of waiting. It's perfect......seriously incredible." Rookie mistake on my part to not have pictures but I'll remember next time

I accidentally cooked one to 153 and it was the most tender TT I ever ate. If I had another I would try the long cook to find out :thumb:

I`m in NorCal and have done tri tips about once a week for the last 20 + years and I was right there with you. I cringed at the thought of taking a tip past 125 or 130 max IT. I came across a video and decided to give it a go. It took about 4 hours to get around 140 IT and I wrapped it. (video I watched suggested wrapping at 165 but I liked the color at 140). Seemed to stall all day between 140 and 160 and I was getting nervous but when it finally hit 198-200 I had to pull it off. Probe went in like butter. My oldest son had to leave for his house so I cut the roast in half through the paper, wrapped it in foil and gave it to him to enjoy at home which took him about an hour and half driving time. His text to me later that night said, "Without a single doubt worth every second of waiting. It's perfect......seriously incredible." Rookie mistake on my part to not have pictures but I'll remember next time

Socal here and tri-tip for years. That's why I was so thrown off. Just goes to show that the only thing I REALLY know is that I don't know jack! Plus, I am always up to try something new. We also have the advantage of getting tri-tip fairly cheap around here. I bought two last weekend at $3.98/lb. Have one in the crock pot now, and one will be going on the gasser tonight. Great piece of meat. Thanks for sharing your info.:thumb:

Interesting post.
I discovered TriTip thru this site, reverse seared, and loved it.
Gave my Sis in law one, she rang me to say she slow cooked it 8 hours, and it was delish.
Not knowing better, I was horrified, but again due to this site I have another way to try

Tri Tip can be cooked many ways with different results. Trisket is one that until you try it, you will swear it can’t be good. It not the same as a tri tip cooked the regular way we all know. Tri Tip is also one of the best to cook sous vide.

lol

sorry but if your cooking a tri tip for 12 hours somethings wrong with you lol who writes this stuff? Stupidest thing I have read all year. Notice no pics right? Was this a tik tok challenge? LOL

Last edited:
Tri Tip can be cooked many ways with different results. Trisket is one that until you try it, you will swear it can’t be good. It not the same as a tri tip cooked the regular way we all know. Tri Tip is also one of the best to cook sous vide.

Tri tip is too easy to cook right.
No reason to cook it using Sous vide or like a brisket.

This is one of those cases of….just because you can, don’t mean you should.

sorry but if your cooking a tri tip for 12 hours somethings wrong with you lol who writes this stuff? Stupidest thing I have read all year. Notice no pics right? Was this a tik tok challenge? LOL

Thanks for the insults but seriously you don't have to believe me or try it. It's OK. :thumb:

Back