THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SoCalWJS

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
John
The wife is out of town for a few, so I can truly experiment w/o regard to the consequences.

I know I tried once before, with mixed results, but the Adventure continues.

Several years ago, at a So Cal BBQ Brethren GTG, somebody (and I can’t remember who), prepared a TT slightly different.

This was maybe the second time I was exposed to Picanha, and it was Out Of This World Delicious.

Shortly thereafter, somebody “Hung” a Tri tip in either a UDS or a PBC that was seasoned with only Coarse salt.

It was also delicious, maybe not quite as tender, but close, and with a FANTASIC flavor.

I filed it away in the back of my tiny brain and thought “I need to play with this”

FF many years. I tried previously, but with unimpressive results, so……. If at first you don’t succeed….

THE PLAN:

Buy an untrimmed Tri tip and trim it down as best as possible to leave a Fat Cap that is reminiscent of a Picanha. Get rid of as much of the Silver Skin as possible. Season with Coarse/Flake salt. Nothing else.

Spin it.

RESULT:

Delicious! Right in between TT & Picanha. Weber Kettle with KBB. Charcoal in a basket up against one wall. Cover on, vents wide open. Pulled at 125 in the thickest part. Rest for 10 minutes.

Wish I had taken a few more pictures, but I am happy with the results.

It’s hard to find Picanha in the these parts (I have one place, Cal Fresh in Pismo Beach that has it about half the time, and usually will get me one if I ask, but then it’s hit & miss on size & quality). Tri Tip is EVERYWHERE here (a few miles north of Santa Maria), so availability is not an issue,

Good stuff!

Sounds awesome John! Waiting for some pics if you can.

Which bash was it? At Greg's or Major's house?

4219e6d3f0a55fe52d3f6dddec4eed8a.jpg

This is the only photo. Slightly overcooked, but probably better towards the center.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds awesome John! Waiting for some pics if you can.

Which bash was it? At Greg's or Major's house?

It was outstanding - just below Awesome
!
I believe it was at Majors. I’ll fire up the Computer tomorrow and see if I took any pictures that might get the date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John,

Glad to see you posting here and experimenting as well! I do remember Greg doing a picanha on the rotisserie at one of the bashes at Major's, but not a Tri-Tip, though it certainly could have happened.

[FONT=&quot]I spun a Tri-Tip once, and it came out pretty good:

[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240937
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Hope to see pics from this cook - sounds like it came out great![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Ive cooked hundreds of trips over the years with nearly all of them with the quick sear on all sides and then indirect for roughly 30-40 minutes until an IT of 125. Recently I have bought untrimmed tri tips and dont touch them except for coarse salt/pepper and cook exactly like a brisket and those have been great as well. Ive never spun one but willing to give it a shot. On another note, I did a tri tip recently using Meat Church`s Honey Bacon BBQ rub and it has been an instant family favorite.....

To the original poster, great thread and that Tri Tip looks fantastic!! Not wanting to high jack the original posting. I really don’t. I just have one question for you and If possible, I want to pick some of Tri Tip Pitmasters brains here for a little help with Tri Tips. For me, preparing tri tips have always been a two headed monster… I slow smoke mine until the IT hits 110* degrees, then I will do a quick sear to get some nice grill marks. I try to get the finish product to not temp above 125* degrees. Always turns out pretty good. The only problem I have with Tri Tips is when any remaining portions needs to be reheated. The more heat they receive, the tougher they get. The only way I’ve found to avoid making Tri Tip shoe leather while trying to reheat them, is to heat them up close too ideal finished Brisket temps. Strange, but true. I haven’t figured out any other way. It’s like when I reheat them, I now have to make them into a Trisket. Don’t get get me wrong.. A Trisket is not a bad thing, but it’s nothing like the original 125* degree IT finished product was. Any other reheating suggestions or options that works would be greatly appreciated. FYI, a Trisket is completely different then a traditional Santa Maria style Tri Tip. And to the original poster, again great looking Tri Tip and thanks for sharing.

To the original poster, great thread and that Tri Tip looks fantastic!! Not wanting to high jack the original posting. I really don’t. I just have one question for you and If possible, I want to pick some of Tri Tip Pitmasters brains here for a little help with Tri Tips. For me, preparing tri tips have always been a two headed monster… I slow smoke mine until the IT hits 110* degrees, then I will do a quick sear to get some nice grill marks. I try to get the finish product to not temp above 125* degrees. Always turns out pretty good. The only problem I have with Tri Tips is when any remaining portions needs to be reheated. The more heat they receive, the tougher they get. The only way I’ve found to avoid making Tri Tip shoe leather while trying to reheat them, is to heat them up close too ideal finished Brisket temps. Strange, but true. I haven’t figured out any other way. It’s like when I reheat them, I now have to make them into a Trisket. Don’t get get me wrong.. A Trisket is not a bad thing, but it’s nothing like the original 125* degree IT finished product was. Any other reheating suggestions or options that works would be greatly appreciated. FYI, a Trisket is completely different then a traditional Santa Maria style Tri Tip. And to the original poster, again great looking Tri Tip and thanks for sharing.

Not to brag but when I cook tri tip, there are never any left overs so I have not had this issue ;)

Actually when I have needed to reheat it, I have often chopped it up and simply used in burrito wraps with cheese and such.....think burrito cheesesteak

I tend to make the leftover into Sandwiches. Slice it just as thin as I can. Make a pot of “Aus Jus” (usually modified Beef broth or Johnny’s), and some decent French Bread rolls. Place the sliced TT into the hot broth for a moment or two, place on the roll. Dip into a cup of the broth when needed.

Tri tip French Dip sandwiches. Modify however you want. Cheese. Onions. Peppers etc.

Thanks… I’ll definitely give those tips a try on future cooks. I don’t slice my finished Tri Tip until I’m ready to serve it, which helps to retain the heat and the locked in juices. I guess what I’m asking, is there a way to “hold” a Tri Tip at the ideal finish temp of 125* degrees without over cooking it. I’ve found a Trisket is super easy to hold and reheat, but a traditionally prepared Tri Tip, it’s not so easy. Thanks again for the tips/options .

Back