Tri-tip and Fondant Potatoes

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
I realize these may not look like traditional Tri-tip due to their shape, but the meat department had labelled and priced them as Tri-tip, so for the purpose of this post - they're Tri-tip. :becky:

What to make with them? Chef John had posted some time ago a recipe for Fondant Potatoes which I've been wanting to try. A few days ago Chef Tom from atbbq.com posted a recipe for them as well, so that pushed me to make them. Russet potatoes, peeled, squared off, cut in half. Brown the surface of the ends in a CI skillet, then add butter, chicken stock and herbs. Cook covered until fork tender.

Browning on the Goldens' -

Z9x70Dj.jpg

Butter, stock and herbs added -

mY4gQ88.jpg

While the potatoes are cooking, the Tri-tip goes on. Seasoned with Oakridge Santa Maria -

t01SlJy.jpg

Nearly done -

4xJSF3P.jpg

Potatoes are looking good -

cTn8lY2.jpg

Plate 'em up with some roasted carrots -

nmyZAUG.jpg

4qWCxps.jpg

1ZUicFR.jpg

This was one awesome meal. The Tri-tip was perfectly cooked, the Fondant Potatoes were creamy, yet had that nice crunch on each end. Can't go wrong with roasted carrots.

If I see "Tri-tip" again in my supermarket, it's definitely going in my cart. It's not often that they carry it, even if it does look somewhat unconventional.

As always, thanks for reading through to the end of this thread and checking out last night's dinner!

Regards,
-lunchman

Know I know what fondant potatoes are too. Going to have to try that. That plate looks just like my kind of meal. :thumb:

Our walmart here sells "tri-tip" too, which is a cut we don't ever see around here, and it is basically cut into strips. Weird.

Thanks everyone. I've always wondered about the lack of Tri-tip here in the northeast, it's just not one of those cuts of meat that's often seen.

I may try my local butcher instead of the grocery store to see if I'd have better luck scoring a traditionally shaped Tri-tip. No matter what the shape is, this was quite tender.

-Dom

I have been buying those tri tip cut into steaks on purpose lately.
My wife likes them and we can get 3 meals. We vac seal two at a time, quick thaws.

We have been finding them at our Sam’s.

Yes. Tri tip steaks. Costco cuts them like that here in Oz. I refuse to buy them although these turned out pretty good. Very nice spuds! :thumb:

Wow Dom just WOW. I found that my local Walmart has been carrying the black label tri-tip. I just wait until one goes on mark down :-D

I have been buying those tri tip cut into steaks on purpose lately.
My wife likes them and we can get 3 meals. We vac seal two at a time, quick thaws.

We have been finding them at our Sam’s.

Same here. Cooking for two and I’m not big on leftovers. I cut them into steaks with the grain shooting for 6oz portions or so. Cook them like any other steak and slice across the grain for serving.

Tried the fondant potatoes last night, that is now a go-to recipe!

Same here. Cooking for two and I’m not big on leftovers. I cut them into steaks with the grain shooting for 6oz portions or so. Cook them like any other steak and slice across the grain for serving.

Tried the fondant potatoes last night, that is now a go-to recipe!

Excellent to hear that. Sometimes the stuff I pick up from both Chef John and Chef Tom is incredible, upping my cooking and grilling games.

I was at Market Basket again today, picked up another package of these Tri-tip steaks. I've frozen them for another day.

But for tonight there are leftovers from this cook. :-D

I also like chef Johns videos/recipes....although my wife hates his voice...so I just watch them with the sound off. He does a few potatoe dishes I quite like.

Your tritip looks great.

Back