Traditional Sunday Dinner

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
If you had a traditional Sundsy dinner, what was it?

We moved 400 miles from both sides of family when I was half thru 2nd grade. Our family of six was the tradition.

Grilled hamburgers over KBlue lit with GulfLite
Or
Crispy Tbone steaks just a few degrees past well done, 3 split six ways
Large baked potato using a stainless nail--loaded

Mom would make a roast chicken with gravy and potatoes, sometimes a pot roast or beef roast.

I had to google the stainless nail trick for potatoes; new one for me.

Sunday roast is something good to eat
Must be lamb today 'cause beef was last week

Lazy Day
Moody Blues

My father would grill chicken- it was some of the best I have ever had, white fluffy rice and green peas with home mad ice cream that my dad and I would do

My momma cooked either fried chicken or beef roast with rice and gravy, mac and cheese (blue box where I found my love for it), and fruit salad. Every blue moon she would throw in a ham and that would come with potato salad instead of rice and gravy. I'm getting hungry.

Sundays Mom would splurge.
Sometimes a half-gallon jar of home canned chicken got browned in the big fry pan, then placed on top of a couple inches of scalloped potatoes in a big blue speckled roaster. In the oven until after church services, when either fresh veggies, or home canned from the garden and always home canned applesauce and pickles hit the table for lunch.
Sometimes she did a ham braised in orange sauce instead of chicken.
My two favorites that she did quite often.
Turkey was not just for Thanksgiving, and her homemade dressing featured raisins, apple chunks, nuts, and lots of saved up crusts from her homemade bread. Her buns, done by the double dozen in a big sheet pan were the best ever.
We usually had guests, and not much if any leftovers

We never really had a set "Sunday dinner" it was just whatever mom felt like making that day. :noidea:

Back