Tortillas --Fight Me

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
From the beginning tortillas were made of corn. To this day, tortillas are made from corn. What are referred to as "flour tortillas" are actually flat breads. So when in a restaurant if asked about tortillas they're inquiring white or yellow corn, not corn versus flour.

Flour "Tortillas", may The Creator have mercy on our souls

From the beginning tortillas were made of corn. To this day, tortillas are made from corn. What are referred to as "flour tortillas" are actually flat breads. So when in a restaurant if asked about tortillas they're inquiring white or yellow corn, not corn versus flour.

Flour "Tortillas", may The Creator have mercy on our souls

From Wiki -

A tortilla is a thin, circular unleavened flatbread from Mexico originally made from maize hominy meal, and now also from wheat flour. The Aztecs and other Nahuatl speakers called tortillas tlaxcalli.

Google home made tortillas and you get recipes using all purpose flour.

Last edited:
I like flour for shrimp and fish tacos

My Bride makes these Green Chile Cheese enchiladas using green onion dip mix. It's a powder, certain brand and never in stores. Always orders from company or Amazon if they have it. We tried white and yellow corn and wasn't right. We tried another brand powder, wasn't right.
Flour is the ticket with that one brand green Chile dip powder.

I understand some dishes call for different tortilla

I love the organic raw flour tortillas at Costco. It's a big package, cheap, and I divide them up and vac freeze them. They're great for burritos, etc, or pizza. Also, minimal ingredients with no junk.

I love the organic raw flour tortillas at Costco. It's a big package, cheap, and I divide them up and vac freeze them. They're great for burritos, etc, or pizza. Also, minimal ingredients with no junk.

We have two Sam's and about 10 Walmart. Nearest Costco 130 mi south.

Corn is native to the Americas, wheat is not.
Wheat was brought over by early explorers from the "Old World" and has only been in the Americas for a few hundred years. Wheat is the most commonly grown foodstuff on the planet.

How long does it take for something to become a "traditional" part of a culture's cuisine?

Flour tortillas are real tortillas used by millions of folks for centuries - that seems long enough for me.

A taco with a flour tort is just a poorly folded burrito.

:rofl:

I like soft corn tortillas for everything now, especially seafood and chicken, since it has so much more flavor, pleasant flavor I guess I should say, versus an overpowering flour taste tortilla dulling down the rest of the fillings.

Recently I started a carnivore style diet and now eat egg white wraps (chickatillas, eggtillas, haha) to cut down on carbs. surprisingly not eggy tasting and complement my smoked chicken, steaks, brats, and sausages very well. I do miss the crunch and chew of a corn taco shell though.

I warm my corn tortillas in a dry pan. That crisps them up a little adding a "chew" to them when they cool, plus some char dots, adding extra flavor.

The egg white wraps I heat in microwave for 30 secs and they are fine but cool quick. Haven't tried those on the stove yet cause mainly warm up in a rush to drop kids off at school in morning.

My Bride makes these Green Chile Cheese enchiladas using green onion dip mix. It's a powder, certain brand and never in stores. Always orders from company or Amazon if they have it. We tried white and yellow corn and wasn't right. We tried another brand powder, wasn't right.
Flour is the ticket with that one brand green Chile dip powder.

I understand some dishes call for different tortilla

Care to share the brand name of said chile dip powder? Can't find a decent green enchilada sauce up here.

Back