THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northern - the advice to go to a comp is great advice. If you can wait, and I know waiting is hard, there is a KCBS event in Cresskill, NJ the weekend of Sept 7th. If you are in Northern NJ, that should be rather close to you. At that event you'll see some offsets like Langs/Meadowcreek, some verticals like Backwoods, Spicewine or Stumps and who knows what else. You can walk around, talk to the teams who will all gladly show off their toys and show you how they work, etc.

As mentioned, Humphreys is close, I think they are in Maine, not NY though. Though expensive, the new Myron Mixon line of water cookers look to be very well built, and they are made up in CT - so if you can go pick it up, you save some $$$ on delivery vs getting a lower cost pit shipped from TX, GA, etc.

Talk about bad timing, Sept 7th I leave for Vages for a week, LOL, but thanks for the heads up... Im going to some searching today at some point

Well it sounds like you do indeed need another cooker, but none of us here can tell you which one to buy. Good advice from others above, all I can add is cookers are like guitars, after you get a second, you get a third, a fourth and so on. Good luck!

Thank you every one for the advice. I guess as everything with cooking there is no scientific answer to these age old questions.

And Mehoney thanks for the offer I may have to take you up on it some time

And Goddahavit, that is great advice I'm going to start looking for some local comps and see whats really out there

You have reached your first stage of enlightenment!

I think that if money and space were no object, many of us would have a Klose or a Lang or such that would allow for cold smoking, hot smoking, reverse searing, indirect and direct heat, burning sticks/and or charcoal.

And it would be portable.

Back