Tomorrow Night = My Largest Cook Ever

I agree. I love that rub. I buy it at Lowe's. I wish I could get it in larger containers. It's the only rub I ever use on pork now. They have a version for steak that I use on beef. I quite making my own rub after I tried the Bone Suckin the first time. I get funny comments from the cashiers when I buy it.

I agree. I love that rub. I buy it at Lowe's. I wish I could get it in larger containers. It's the only rub I ever use on pork now. They have a version for steak that I use on beef. I quite making my own rub after I tried the Bone Suckin the first time. I get funny comments from the cashiers when I buy it.

I also buy it in quantities when I find it and I blow through it cooking. I really like the steak rub - lots of flavor layers.

You should be good. I shoe-horned 3 shoulders, so 6 8lb pieces, on my 18 wsm. All came out great and finished about the same time. I find both upper and lower racks cook pretty evenly on mine. Good luck, let us know how it comes out.

I got a pit temp alarm from my Flame Boss at 4 AM. Was running out of charcoal. I let it be until 6 AM, and the pit was at 180 degrees. I replenished the coal, and it's already climbing steadily back toward the 250 I have it set for. I should have taken a pic of the 4 butts while I had the cover off, but I forgot to take my phone out with me. The brain is a little foggy at that time, especially when I haven't even made my coffee yet. Thanks for following the cook.

I'm starting to get a little concerned about reaching 200 IT before the party starts. I foiled the meat, and cranked the temp to 300 in the cooker. Assuming 270ish is the stall temp (which the meat sat at for 2 hours early this AM), I probably have at least a couple more hours in that temp range before it starts climbing again. Sitting at 167 now. If I have to, I'll slice the butts instead of pulling them. What's the hottest you guys have cooked butts at? I don't think the Flame Boss probes are rated for temps in the 400 degree range.

The party starts at 2 and it's a little after 9:30 here.

They've got enough smoke I'd pull and finish in the oven to make sure it's ready at party time, nothing worse than a bunch of people sitting around
waiting for the cook to finish, but that's just me and what I would do

My wife and I were discussing that option, but it looks like I've blown through the stall. The meat is at 185 now, so it should come off in plenty of time to get a decent rest before pulling. As soon as it comes off, smoked mac n cheese is going on.

I could never run a bbq joint, my nerves couldn't handle it, LOL. Catering would probably shorten my life span dramatically. I have to do this again for a friend in 3 weeks. By then, I hope to be comfortable with the Weekender and use it instead of the Weber. I have to make an adapter for the Flame Boss fan to mate to the Weekender ball valve, but I have the parts and should be able to get it done in only an hour or so. I'll post pics of that contraption after I build it.

Nothing too exciting about this photo, except that the butts are done and resting. Plenty of time for a good rest.

Last edited:
This is the 2nd time I've made this mac n cheese. As the recipe states, 100% of people who make it once end up making it a 2nd time.

Looks like things are well in-hand.

Good suggestions above about temps and oven possibilities.

I'll also throw in my own after a recent butt cook:
- Smoke the butt(s) until 160F internal or you like the bark and color. Place it/them in individual aluminum pans and foil over the top. Crank the heat to 300-325F (I usually cook in the 250-275-300F range), and take it until the bone wiggles. Pull the pans and put 'em in a cool (or warm, you choice) oven to rest until you need to chop or pull. Reserve the juices from the pans... defat - and add some back to the meat if looking for more moisture before serving.

We really like those Bone Suckin' Rubs... NCGrimbo introduced me to the Steak version of the mix... and I really like that on pork more than beef. Ha!

Now that you have a chance to breathe and not worry so much, I hope you enjoy your shindig with friends and family. Congratulations to the new graduates!

I just shut the smoker down, and will be heading out to the party shortly. All of the food is already in route, via my wife's van. She had a great idea... since this is an open house style party, where people can show up from 2 PM to 5 PM, she suggested we only shred 1 butt at a time, and keep the others wrapped and in the cooler stuffed with towels. That way, everyone gets hot, freshly shredded pulled pork. I'll take photos as time allows.

You'll be fine. About a month ago I did 6 butts at 65lbs. for a family memorial service that ended up having about 150ish people. I was always worried about butts being done in time, but I learned that the longer the rest the better, so I usually plan to finish and wrap them into a towel lined cooler for no less than 4 hours. For the memorial service I held them for 7 hours in a cooler and they were still almost too hot to handle. They turned out to be the best I've done so far. Agree with you 100% on capturing all the juice etc. in the pan. Well done! I'm sure everyone will love it!

Back