Tomorrow Night = My Largest Cook Ever

wire-it-up

is one Smokin' Farker
In terms of total meat weight, I will be starting my largest cook yet tomorrow evening after work. It's 4 butts, averaging about 8 lbs. each. All 4 will go in my WSM 22.5". The occasion is a combined graduation party for my oldest daughter and her first cousin. I hope to get them in shortly after arriving home from work, and let them cook all night. The highest quantity of butts I've done to date is only 2, both on the top rack. Done that a few times. But this time, I plan to put two on the top grate and two on the bottom grate. I don't know what the temperature difference between the two grates will be, or whether I should be concerned about it.

My Flame Boss 200 will be wide awake while I catch my Z's. It'll keep things under control for me. I'll probably run at 250. I doubt they'll be done when I get up, as the last 2 I cooked weren't. I was out of water in the pan, and out of charcoal. I was well past the stall temp, but the color was dark enough that I didn't want them any darker, so I foiled. I replenished the charcoal and let them go another couple hours or so in the foil, and I was at 200 IT. Left them in the foil and put them in a cooler with towels. They stayed hot until the party, which was several hours later. I pulled them at the party, and found them to be the most tender butts I've ever done. I should note that they were brined for 24 hours. The PP was the hit of the party, and I received many compliments on the flavor and tenderness. I'm trying to duplicate that success, while also doubling the quantity. I also found that shredding them in a pan, capturing the juice, and then mixing it all back together to keep the juice in the meat seemed to give fantastic flavor.

I have to make smoked mac and cheese as well. I need these butts done in time to clear a grate on the Weber. I have a new Humphrey's Weekender being delivered tomorrow afternoon, but I don't plan to use it for this cook. I probably won't have time to uncrate it, and I would prefer to get used to how it cooks before using it for food that so many people will be eating.

Wish me luck, as this is a big deal for my daughter and my wife. Thanks Brethren!

I sure will. I want to get pics of the newest addition to the family on here for sure... the Weekender!

My wife and I just got the 4 butts in the brine. She has never helped me to that extent with cooking Q before, so I know she's excited about this pulled pork turning out well for the party. She thought it was great at the last one. She went to the store and bought two of these while I was at work, so we could catch the sale price.

JVM59, I ordered my Weekender from The St. Louis BBQ Store. Noticed that's where you're from. I've been down that way a couple of times, but it was before I acquired the addiction of low and slow, which I'm pretty sure is terminal. I wish I had been into Q then, so I could try the stuff they make down there.

I ran two temp probes a few times on my 22.5" WSM to see the difference in shelves and on mine it was about 25* cooler on the lower. I dont recall what the outside temps were those times but I imagine a variety of factors could change that. If you have a couple probes on your flame boss you could use them to figure out the temp delta before you put them in the meat. If you wanted them both to finish at the same time you could start the 2 on the lower grate first and put the top ones on after an hour or two. If you will finish with plenty of time anyway, I probably wouldn't bother and just let them finish when they're done.

Good luck! One thing I do like about my WSM or kamado grill is I get a full nights sleep!

Thanks for posting the temp info. I've read a fair amount about it Online, but that was quite some time ago. As early as I hope to get them on, I will probably just load all 4 in at the same time. The party is at 2 PM, and I'm hoping the butts can rest for at least an hour or so before they get pulled. I usually get up around 6 AM on weekends, so I'm thinking this should all work out okay.

I told my wife we should be able to bring pulled pork home from this party because I didn't think it would all be eaten. With that being my plan, I started thinking about giving away some leftover pulled chuck, and some meatloaf from last Saturday. But she said "My mom wants to keep it at her house (that's where the party is) and have all of the family back over Sunday after church to eat leftovers". I'm trying to come to terms with that idea, LOL. Oh well, I still gave away the meatloaf to my buddy neighbor (fellow electrician, former co-worker).

You've got this thing.

Don't be afraid to kick it up a few degrees to complete the cook on time. Pork butts are very forgiving.

I had 4 butts over the July 4th weekend do a major stall on me 12 hours into the cook, I simply cranked up the Stumps and broke through the wall....:thumb:

I wish the timing on the new Humphrey's had worked out a little differently. If I had gotten it a week sooner, I would have used it for this cook. But this'll be a good test for me and for the Weber... mostly for me.

That's great advice, and I think I'm going to follow it. I've never cooked above 275. Do you think that's hot enough?

I only cook at 275 or higher....16 hour cooks are too long for this guy, even if you have a temp controller doing the dirty work.

No difference in quality on the final product either. Well, it might have winded up better if anything.

I had 4 butts over the July 4th weekend do a major stall on me 12 hours into the cook, I simply cranked up the Stumps and broke through the wall....:thumb:

This will probably be about my 8th time or so making pulled pork, and I didn't know they could stall that far into a cook. That's very educational for me. If that happens, they're definitely getting foiled and cooked hotter.

I've got a 22 WSM and have found with water it sits at 250 or below with ease, without it'll sit at around 275-285 for a day and a half without effort. So if you got hot, nix the water. Your controller won't be fighting the heat sink either that way.

I have considered not using water and will probably do that at some point. Possibly even on this cook. I'll foil the pan and foil a clay planter base or something (I think someone on here suggested that). So far, the only time I've gone waterless has been when hanging ribs. The difference in flavor profile that way is quite noticeable, and I don't have a delicate palate. My wife actually prefers ribs that way. I'm on the fence about it.

I've got a WSM 18 that I've had grill temp probes on both the upper and lower and have never had more than a 5* difference with no water in the foil wrapped pan once you get the dome on and let it settle out. But that's just me. I know you will nail the cook.

Back