THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I normally dimple when grilling, but have gotten away with not. It suck when you don't and an 8oz patty blows up like a balloon. Then I have to decide who I give that one to.:mrgreen: This was my first time doing a reverse sear, and I didn't think to look and see if the dimple filled back out or not. I will say I did like the smoke flavor from reverse searing.

I'm going to be the odd one out here. When I cook burgers, I usually find the fat is completely rendered at 160*-165*, which is what causes the burger to swell. If I wait until the burger reaches that temp to take it off, then it's still going to climb 5* or so and the end result is a burger that is overcooked. I actually want to take off the burgers before it reaches this temperature, i.e., just before it swells. If I take it off before it swells, then those divots remain in my burgers. Your mileage may vary depending on your cooking method (and also your preference), but this is what I typically find with mine.

Incidentally, E. coli is killed at 155* (with no rest time needed; we're told to bring ground meat to 160-165* to give us some leeway). I generally shoot for 150*-155* as I know from experience my burgers' IT keeps rising about 5*. Note that the rest time is important. If you rest your meat longer, you can reduce the temperature. For instance, cooking and holding your burger to only 145* for 2 minutes will kill 90% of the E. coli, and for 3 minutes will kill 99% of the E. coli. We want to kill more than 99%, but you get the idea.

I guess the short answer is "no, I don't dimple," but I'm certainly not against it.

For reverse sear, what temp do you pull off indirect heat?

Back