To bark or not to bark that is the question!

Oprahrider

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hi guys
I just bought 36lbs of Mesquite split logs for $24
I cut them all up into smaller chunks with my miter saw as
I have a Brand new Bandera vertical smoker that as you know
Really isn't built to handle burning wood as a heat source.

My question is could I / or should I burn the bark when using
This wood for smoking? The bark breaks off easily so I can
Dispose of it if it is not to be used for smoking purposes. Sorry
For the Nube question but I don't want to ruin BBQ meat if this
Is a bad practice🤔

Thank you in advance for you replies

Bill H.

PS ..........that Mesquite is some hard wood!

I don't discriminate. Bark or no bark it burns the same. If it separates like you said it does it's good to go either way.

If the wood is seasoned but not too old I too burn the bark along with coal on the WSM. Once it gets older, I just don't use the wood.

I totally blame the big box stores- they label smokers as "charcoal, gas or electric". Totally understandable that a fella can buy a Bandera and might not know he bought a wood burning machine. Sure it can burn charcoal but why???

I'm not a big fan of mesquite- I can use a couple of chunks in my uds charcoal basket for a brisket and it's ok but I would not use it to fire my vertical cabinet. Too much of a good thing, I guess.

I use the bark too. Mesquite is a powerful flavored wood, a little goes a long way.

Thank you guys for the quick and informative response.
I know I'm on to something when I've been very wrong in my thinking.
So bark is OK, and the Bandera "IS" a wood burning smoker!

Somebody mentioned wood being too old?
How do I know if the wood is too old?
Another newbie assumption,I thought wood could only
be two green AKA......not seasoned enough for clean smoke��
Thank you my brethren for answering these elementary questions.

If it's over a couple years old and is starting ro crumble it is to old and will burn up in a hurry. Like others have said Mesquite produces a powerful smoke flavor so unless you are use to it I would mix with something else like Oak or Pecan. I would 3 to 1 ratio.

First for bark in general, I would always test a piece first because it can be acrid and terrible while most often it is pretty benign and works well with the wood underneath.

As for old wood, really old wood doesn't' burn very long and produces less heat in a fireplace and smoke in your smoker. While you don't want 'green' wood, you don't want old dried out wood either.

After a couple years, I generally burn all my leftover firewood in a bonfire in the in the yard to get rid of it and start over. I don't have that problem with smoker wood as I generally don't have a 'surplus'.

Thank you guys for the quick and informative response.
I know I'm on to something when I've been very wrong in my thinking.
So bark is OK, and the Bandera "IS" a wood burning smoker!

Somebody mentioned wood being too old?
How do I know if the wood is too old?
Another newbie assumption,I thought wood could only
be two green AKA......not seasoned enough for clean smoke��
Thank you my brethren for answering these elementary questions.

If too Dry will burn up faster and completely to ash /not giving good red coals and lighter smoke flavor. You can add a chimney of burning charcoal mid cook if not able to keep a coal base.

You may have to cut your firewood splits shorter to fit in Bandera firebox but it Is a stickburner.

Back