Is there a good charcoal for the "Minion Method"?

mjr

Knows what a fatty is.
That's what I generally use when I smoke things on my Weber Smokey Mountain.

I'd like to use Kingsford Blue, as it's marketed as "long burning". I can't seem to find it right now near me. If anyone else has any good suggestions, I'm open to them.

And on that note, how much wood is really necessary when smoking? I usually buy the bags of wood "chunks" and put in 2 to 4 fist-sized chunks depending on what I'm smoking.

Also, lump vs briquette? Or does it matter?

I use a Pitmaster IQ for thermal regulation as well.

There is another recent thread about new charcoal some have noticed at their local walmart. I used to have a WSM and now run a UDS and waffle between lump and KBB. Biggest difference is the lump has a lot less ash and nasty smoke at the startup. Lump runs hotter with less ash and doesn't always last as long per volume. So I go back and forth regarding preference.

I'd give lump a shot if you have never used it. Most common around me is Cowboy or Frontier. There are better reviewed brands out there besides those 2. Biggest complaint people have with Cowboy is the popping / cracking it does when lighting, non-charcoal debris found in the bag and inconsistent size (some giant pieces and a ton of small). Its all I have access to and haven't had a problem. But lump is definately worth a shot. I like lump for short and hot cooks or grilling due to the lack of nasty smoke and ash.

As far as wood chunks. Yeah 4-5 is good, especially if you burry throughout the basked. Nice thing about the WSM is the door that allows you to add more later in the cook. My UDS has a big basket that I fill up and usually just take a full Oak split and stand up in the basket. But that is partially because it is a pain to remove everything to add more wood.

The smoldering wood flavor from a WSM / UDS style smoker is nice, but you will likely never achieve the same smokiness of a traditional offset due to the smolder vs burn style of heat.

Wow, you're asking a lot of questions that people have strong, diametrically opposed opinions on, all in one thread no less! I might just sit back and watch the fireworks :pop2:

But since you ask.... :becky:

First, you can use the minion method with anything. It's just a technique and doesn't depend on a product. Heck it's what I've been using since I was a kid. Somewhere along the line it got a name that became popularized, but it was just how we were taught to build fires.

As for charcoal, I would recommend anything but Kingsford. Granted I used it growing up and learned to love that chemical taste, but became aware of it when I cooked for people who weren't used to it. Believe it or not, some people hate that flavor. I've had people who never had it before ask what I'd done to ruin the steaks this time, when the only thing different was the Kingsford. Never again for me. I still have about 6 bags in the garage. Of course, you're going to get different opinions on that.

How much wood is necessary is another purely subjective question. I typically use 1-2 chunks, but everyone's tolerance to smoke is different. My wife is quite sensitive to the smoke; whereas, I can't really get enough. It also depends on what you're cooking. Chicken soaks up smoke like a sponge, so I cut down for that.

Lump or briquette? I always go with lump. There is no filler and no chemical smell, and there is so much less ash. Once I went lump, I never went back. It does burn hotter and faster, however, and this is somehow listed as a disadvantage. I happen to have fancy-dancy pits that have adjustable vents that I can regulate the fire with. I think those who raise this point don't have these or removed them to use as coasters to put their Bud Light on. If you no longer drink Bud Light, you're probably ready to try lump and use the vents to make the lump last as long as any briquettes. It should actually go longer because there is more fuel in the lump because there is no filler. I had one cook in my Oval that went for 25 hours on a single load of lump in 5 degree weather. I started out with brisket, did some pizzas for lunch, then cooked ribs and finished up with chicken. The power was out and I had nothing else to do but cook everything. I still had fuel when I closed it down too.

I cook in a BGE. I prefer Lump but can regulate my temps and make it burn for a long time. Have never been a fan Kingsford Blue. The naked wiz is a good site to go to for a Charcoal Database

Great answer Gore.
If using lump in your WSM, take the time try arranging the pieces to get the most dense pack.
Scatter 3, 4, 5 fist sized pieces of hardwood throughout the lump so it lights at different times.
I never, never use Kingsford. Last time I did the briqs were producing white bubbly foam and the smell of ammonia was overwhelming.
I have good success with almost any "all natural" briquettes. The best was Royal Oak Chefs Select but I can't find it anymore.
Good luck!

Good luck getting a consistent answer to your Questions. I don't mess around with WSM and PID fan blowers anymore, but one opinion of mine is try and run clean, make sure your smoke is from wood chunks and not charcoal. My opinion is 2 chunks every 30-60 minutes should produce clean blue smoke providing your charcoal is burning clean and not adding additional smoke.
/end 0.2 cents.

I like to use lump charcoal for this because it has less ash to clog up airflow. I will fill my basket up and give it a little bit of a shake to get it settled. Then let it roll. How long do you need it to burn? I have gotten a full basket to burn 14+ hours.

I have never used the Minion method, lump or briquettes, that did not taste like an ashtray.
Spent a bunch of money buying a 26" kettle and a large Slow and Sear and tried a rack of ribs lighting one end and letting it burn per the instructions. One bite and into the trash.

I have never used the Minion method, lump or briquettes, that did not taste like an ashtray.
Spent a bunch of money buying a 26" kettle and a large Slow and Sear and tried a rack of ribs lighting one end and letting it burn per the instructions. One bite and into the trash.

Are you using the minion method or the snake method? Minion is where you have a basket or pile of charcoal and you light the top and get it hot and let it burn down while cooking. I made loads of food on my drum that way and never tasted an ashtray. I also had people tell me it was some of my best ribs. That is coming off of using a stick burning cabinet also

Lloyd, Please do not consider my comments as a personal attack as this is just an observation. I have been reading various internet BBQ related websites for going on 25 years and you are the only person I can recall who has ever made the ashtray comparison comments about the Minion method results. I am not saying that your observation is wrong as some people have a more developed sense of taste and smell than others. Some people may be more sensitive to certain smells or chemicals. But you are the only person I have ever seen make this ashtray comment.

I suppose with the Slow&Sear it was in fact the snake method. And I used lump to combat that chemical smell.
Juggy, no offense taken. That is why we are here, to offer opinions and to learn. Most people would be put off by my method of lighting the whole pile of coals with lighter fluid, then waiting until all the white smoke is gone before putting on the meat! I contend that if you squirt the fluid then immediately light it, instead of letting it soak in, it doesn't affect the taste or smell.

Lloyd, I am glad you were not offended by my comments and I agree with you on learning from others opinions. I wasn't insinuating you were wrong either. You smell and taste what you smell and how am I to argue with that? I haven't used lighter fluid in years. When I fire up the kettle, I use a charcoal chimney and wait until the coals are ashed over before dumping them in the cooker. Your theory about lighting the charcoal as soon as the lighter fluid is applied leaves less smell/aftertaste makes sense to me.

Oh, I always use the chimney for grilling. I only use the lighter fluid in my WSM when starting 12 or 15 pounds of coals.

I bought some jealous devil “pillow” bricketts at Walmart yesterday. Lit them at 1pm today. They are still going 5hrs and 42 min into the cook. No issue holding temp or burning out.

Back