THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What kind of TD Voting do you prefer

• I prefer results hidden while in progress

Votes: 42 56.0%
  • I prefer results shown while in progress

Votes: 33 44.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The thing that I think can be gained by letting the people decide is that if you justly deserve to win, you will always have a chance if it's up to a group of intelligent like minded people to decide your fate. If you're a dumb arse like me and can't follow the rules, then you'll more than likely get whats coming to you.

I disagree with this and I'll show you why. First, my dear brother Fingerlickin', regardless of my disagreement with your statement above, I love you like a brother, I respect you and I find you funny as all hail. :love:

Here is a link to the vote thread of the "Sauce is Boss" TD you called. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148876

The rules were this:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin'
"Sauce is boss" it is. Cook something featuring a sauce. Saucing of the chef is optional.

I'm fighting the clock to get this written so I just checked some TD rules, not all and I didn't find anything specifically written in the few minutes I checked that the theme has to be grilled or smoked. I do know, however, that is something the TDs are known to be about, that the theme or point of the dish must be grilled or smoked. So if your paragraph at the top is correct, brother, we would expect the majority of the 57 votes to have gone for a sauce we saw grilled or smoked? Right?

Wrong.

* 23 votes for an entry that did not have a smoked or grilled sauce
* 16 votes for another entry that did not have a smoked or grilled sauce
* 4 votes for a sauce shown made on a stove indoors
* 12 votes for an entry that did not have a sauce the entrant talked about making in the two threads included and there was an unanswered question whether the sauce was bought as is or made by the entrant
* 2 votes for an entry that had a sauce made from scratch with step by step photos including the smoking of it

Jason, 55 out of 57 people voted for sauce not smoked or grilled and one entry with most-likely bought sauce. With "Sauce is Boss" as the TD theme, do you feel the intelligent voters figured it out?

And I still love you my crazy brother. :hug: :kiss:

I'm fighting the clock to get this written so I just checked some TD rules, not all and I didn't find anything specifically written in the few minutes I checked that the theme has to be grilled or smoked. I do know, however, that is something the TDs are known to be about, that the theme or point of the dish must be grilled or smoked.

Rule 5 - Entries must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or must prominently feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients which you prepared. Photos of your food on the grill or smoker are encouraged but not required (we love action shots).

:-D

I know I come here more to check scores than to check for new categories. I wonder if the change will make more peeps come here less often :-/

Thanks, Ron, I saw that but didn't feel it said strongly enough that the "theme" ingredient had to be grilled or smoked. I know we expect that in TDs but am I misreading Rule 5?

Again, thanks for pitching in, I appreciate it.

Thanks, Ron, I saw that but didn't feel it said strongly enough that the "theme" ingredient had to be grilled or smoked. I know we expect that in TDs but am I misreading Rule 5?

Again, thanks for pitching in, I appreciate it.

I understand what you are saying, and maybe something like that should be added, but the theme isn't aways an ingredient, so that may be why it was in there originally.

Yes, I agree with your assessment, Ron. I do remember discussions about this at some point and that we had some clear language somewhere that a 'given theme ingredient' must be smoked or grilled. Could have been around the time a salad won, not sure about this, though. Our members include some very smart whackadoodles that enjoy the joust between intent and explicit language immensely. Still, jousting and joking aside, if we call a "Pickle" TD most will agree the pickle should be part of the grilling and smoking process, not just pulled from the jar and set on the plate for a polling photo.

Does any brother or sister believe a "Sauce is Boss" TD on a BBQ forum is called to celebrate a farker that bought one from a store or cooked it on their kitchen stove? Especially considering we all talk about how much we learn about BBQ in the TDs, how it inspires, how it ups our game? I doubt it. I think what happened was many didn't read the theme, many voted from the polling photos and many got excited about the meat and didn't have a further thought. 55 out of 57 altogether.

Love Jeds comment about the crushing feeling of rejection you will experience when you think you're gonna win by a landslide and fine out you've got a zero.

There's people who will suicide after that kind of result. I just don't wanna think about us being responsible for that... but I do appreciate Jed's discussion on how seeing your progress really helps you with your next entry.

I'd really like to see one thing though, should we continue this blind voting.

A member who votes for himself and at the reveal gets... yep ONE vote :heh:

Cheers!

Bill

I know I come here more to check scores than to check for new categories. I wonder if the change will make more peeps come here less often :-/
But Peeps can see the scores, and, as a mod, has agreed to come here often.

Yes, I agree with your assessment, Ron. I do remember discussions about this at some point and that we had some clear language somewhere that a 'given theme ingredient' must be smoked or grilled. Could have been around the time a salad won, not sure about this, though. Our members include some very smart whackadoodles that enjoy the joust between intent and explicit language immensely. Still, jousting and joking aside, if we call a "Pickle" TD most will agree the pickle should be part of the grilling and smoking process, not just pulled from the jar and set on the plate for a polling photo.

That was Deguerre's salad that won and was DQ'd after the win because Toast had specified "all vegetables on the grill or smoked" which made Deguerre's entry a special rules violation and not a TD rules violation.

Love Jeds comment about the crushing feeling of rejection you will experience when you think you're gonna win by a landslide and fine out you've got a zero.

There's people who will suicide after that kind of result. I just don't wanna think about us being responsible for that... but I do appreciate Jed's discussion on how seeing your progress really helps you with your next entry.

I'd really like to see one thing though, should we continue this blind voting.

A member who votes for himself and at the reveal gets... yep ONE vote :heh:

Cheers!

Bill
OK sat on my hands long enough, voting for yourself is not accepted as being cool and I agree! BUT it looks kind of funny entry #1 votes for entry #5 and #5 turns around and just happens to vote for #1 ,makes no never mind to me the games that are being played in voting if you need that farking steak bad enough send me your address and I will send you one. I have two certificates on my refrigerator that mean a heck of a lot more than a steak!!!!! Oh yeah.. got those back when the TD was about having fun. This all started with the voting on the final four guess they need a steak awful bad. Buzz

Ron I see you've had a lot to input lately. Does this mean your back? :clap:

16663611241_a6a7453295.jpg

I've been meaning to chime in on this thread in a VERY big way, however, we have a serious structural plumbing problem here at home and I've been...ummm...slightly distracted. :mad2:

I will be back.

Stand by.

I've been meaning to chime in on this thread in a VERY big way, however, our main sewer line is now busted and I've been...ummm...slightly distracted and frustrated to say the least.

I will be back.

Stand by.
In terms of priorities, you are probably on track. You can't see anything, any ways.

I disagree with this and I'll show you why. First, my dear brother Fingerlickin', regardless of my disagreement with your statement above, I love you like a brother, I respect you and I find you funny as all hail. :love:

Here is a link to the vote thread of the "Sauce is Boss" TD you called. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148876

The rules were this:

I'm fighting the clock to get this written so I just checked some TD rules, not all and I didn't find anything specifically written in the few minutes I checked that the theme has to be grilled or smoked. I do know, however, that is something the TDs are known to be about, that the theme or point of the dish must be grilled or smoked. So if your paragraph at the top is correct, brother, we would expect the majority of the 57 votes to have gone for a sauce we saw grilled or smoked? Right?

Wrong.

* 23 votes for an entry that did not have a smoked or grilled sauce
* 16 votes for another entry that did not have a smoked or grilled sauce
* 4 votes for a sauce shown made on a stove indoors
* 12 votes for an entry that did not have a sauce the entrant talked about making in the two threads included and there was an unanswered question whether the sauce was bought as is or made by the entrant
* 2 votes for an entry that had a sauce made from scratch with step by step photos including the smoking of it

Jason, 55 out of 57 people voted for sauce not smoked or grilled and one entry with most-likely bought sauce. With "Sauce is Boss" as the TD theme, do you feel the intelligent voters figured it out?

And I still love you my crazy brother. :hug: :kiss:

I love you too Kathy, I love having your voice of reason and your always very thoughtful in your posts. Much respect.

I can't help but to respectfully disagree though.

When I first read your post my first though was "chit I don't even remember calling that TD":twitch: and my second though went right to rule #5 which Ron so graciously provided.

Rule 5 - Entries must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or must prominently feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients which you prepared. Photos of your food on the grill or smoker are encouraged but not required (we love action shots).

I do hear where you're coming from, but to your question and to my point. Yes, I do think the intelligent voters figured it out. They voted for who they though should win. Plain and simple. There was a no fuss vote and that was it. Mod's didn't have to spend all day explaining rules and handing out DQ's and everyone was happy. I can understand you would've preferred to see a homemade sauce smoked on the grill but we're all entitled to our opinions. Opinions carried out by a vote. 57 of them in that particular TD. Pretty good turnout even.

In terms of priorities, you are probably on track. You can't see anything, any ways.

That's not true; I can see EVERYTHING that happens here.

I guess you weren't aware I was a TD mod. :biggrin1:

Let's leave it at that, shall we?

:becky:

NEXT!

:laugh:

Back