Thinking Seriously About Buying a Beef Critter on the Hoof.

Well, what type of beer critter should I buy for good beef? I like dwfisk's suggestion about the 4 H gig but that is next October/November at the Louisiana State Fair. I may be able to find something before then.

What cow makes the best steaks and such? Black Angus?

I guessing I would want a steer for beef from what I've read.

Also cowgirl, where do I get some of that "Cow Conditioner" to make it shiny? :thumb: :clap2:

If you have someone near you that raises a good quality black angus I'd go with that. If not then white face herfords are a good quality steer. I will say though that one of the best beefers I raised was a cross breed between a black angus and a herford.

To get prime you'll have to fatten out to a higher weight which means a higher feed cost. Even then there's no guarantee that it will grade out prime but I like a higher weight steer than the packers want.

If you do get one make sure to fertilize your pasture. Get hold of your county extension office and they can give you advice for what works best in your area.

Hey Toast, don't know if you have any FFA organizations around you but you might check with one of them. A lot of time some high school students raise steers for show. After show they go up for auction. You buy one an send it to the slaughter house to process for you. The best part is that the student does all the work and buys all the feed etc. !!!!!!The student learns and gets some of their money back by your purchase.

Good Luck

You may not can find a 4H critter you can afford. Most of those are bought as a "thank you/you're welcome" by family, coop/business associates of the parents. You could get $10# tied up in one them guys fast. But chances are if they do the 4H thing there's a good chance they'll know where to get an edible critter.

Holstein steers are not uncommon to be raised for beef. There's several guys around here that raise them. I say find a slaughter house and buy direct or from a farmer. The place south of us had $3/# for a side, and $2/# for a whole hog on their sign this morning.

"beef critters" are a herd animal....you will have much better success if you have at least two. They get lonely, bored, whatever and get out of the pen a LOT more if only raising one. (especially if there are cattle nearby 1/2 mile to mile away)

Well, what type of beer critter should I buy for good beef? I like dwfisk's suggestion about the 4 H gig but that is next October/November at the Louisiana State Fair. I may be able to find something before then.

What cow makes the best steaks and such? Black Angus?

I guessing I would want a steer for beef from what I've read.

Also cowgirl, where do I get some of that "Cow Conditioner" to make it shiny? :thumb: :clap2:

IMO you really can't go wrong with Angus (the breed/genetics; not the CAB marketing BS) or an Angus cross. Brangus do very well in the southern heat, humidity, bugs & pests. We raise Simmental-Angus cross an have bern very happy with the results. If you start with solid genetics and feed properly, home raised beef can be very rewarding. And yes, definetely a steer, you want all the food energy going into making beef not chaising the ladies.

My uncle, again, Idaho, was a huge fan of white faced Herefords, in fact, he said that we are Hereford people (which, I guess since he was the only one who raised cattle, allowed him to define the family). I like Angus. A friend in Colorado, old ranch family, prefers something called Beefmasters, some form of hybrid steer. But, I think all she cares about it carcass quality for her packer customer.

My family owned and operated a commercial butcher shop for a long time. Jersey cattle are the bottom of the barrel in quality and time/money vs. output IMHO. No offense.

None taken.These are fed out specifically for butchering,they take longer to finish and lead a pampered life.Most Jersey beef that goes to slaughter are old worn out dairy cattle or steers that are culled young and not fed properly.It all come into play.

I work for beef people. We buy, sell, truck and raise Holstein crosses we get as calves to bottle feed. The amount of supplemental feed required to reach choice or better will not be cost effective to feed vs purchasing finished steer unless you grow your own corn. Also, nobody has mentioned that only about 2% of feed intake is retained by the steer and the rest is "organic matter" that needs to be dealt with. We use a mix of corn silage, hi moisture corn, distillers grain (protein) and potatoes (fat) and minerals the last 6 months to finish. We raise them 2 years and they receive some grain even on pasture. Nearly all grade choice or better with average 56% yield. I'd just go to your local packing house and talk to them about who raises nice steers and buy a side there. I got contract price, which was lower than market last spring, and came to $2.56/lb in the freezer. If you decide to raise your own, be careful about where you get a steer. The beef breeds get more wild goofs than the dairy breeds and and no matter what breed, you get what you feed him them. Good luck!

I agree with Norm and Landarc. My father in law has raised registered old family white face Herefords for over 50 years. Extremely hardy breed with similar meat qualities of Angus, but typically more on the gentle side. He has a few black baldies (Angus cross Herefords) from when his brother's bull got through the fence into his pasture, and has been pleased enough with those animals that he hasn't culled them out of his herd yet. But some of that may have to do with the chuckle he gets at his brother's expense; some bad blood there! Anyways, in MY opinion, you can generally count on solid feed/input/output efficiency as well as a more robust beefy flavor from these two breeds.

I have not read every post on this thread so I hope I am not repeating but, if you run intermediate fencing and rotate your critters, you can get better use of the pasture. In other words, instead of turning them (at least two as mentioned above) out on a three acre lot, split it into three, one acre paddocks. This way each field gets some time to recover with out being trampled and much of the forage ruined. You can also force them to eat some of what they would normally walk past to get at something they like better because their choices are more limited.

I have six acres fenced, split into four paddocks and run three to four steers depending on size, weather, etc. We are in way different growing areas though so YMMV.

The intermediate fence doesn't have to be much. One strand of electric will do for most especially if they are well disciplined on a good hot perimeter fence. Some down sides with this are, you have to take the time to move them, waters, and depending on how you are set up, shelter. If you don't have shade in all three paddocks, forget it. It's a lot of work getting set up but you can get better yield from the land if you want do it. Most people would probably try a couple for a year or two running loose on the whole 3 acres and say, "The hell with this, I'm going to the store". We have made good money off of them but it's more a hobby for me. It's a lot of work!

Good Luck

Well I must say it might behoove me to look into buying an already butchered side or two cost wise verses raising one. Especially the part about only raising one and them getting out.

Thanks again for all the good input..

Well I must say it might behoove me to look into buying an already butchered side or two cost wise verses raising one. Especially the part about only raising one and them getting out.

Thanks again for all the good input..
I've never raised one, but I have helped trying to recover ones that someone has tried to raise on a small piece of property. Learned that the cops are funny when confronted with a steer in the road.

I've never raised one, but I have helped trying to recover ones that someone has tried to raise on a small piece of property. Learned that the cops are funny when confronted with a steer in the road.

Yes indeed. Sometimes in the morning radio traffic report they mention loose livestock as a road hazard.

My fear in buying 1 calf (or even 2) to feed would be this: What if when you get that calf fat, and take to the butcher for processing, the USDA inspector condemns it for one of many unseen health reasons: septecimia, uremia, liver flukes, so on? Sometimes a perfectly healthy looking animal will not be able to be used. If this happens you have spent a great deal of time and money, and get nothing in return. (Sounds like my stock investing strategy, lol).

I work for a commercial cattle feedlot, and we have 30,000 head on feed. If someone comes in and wants to select a fat steer, they can go out and find the one they want and we will sell it to them. Right now the price is about $170/cwt, so for a 1400# steer $2380.00. Carcass yield would be 63.5% therabout so an 889# carcass. That is essentially just hided, gutted, and head removed hanging on the rail. Actually useable meat would be say 50% of the 889# carcass so 445# of meat (roughly). By this math you would have $5.35 per pound just for the meat, add on processing and that is your cost.

I would say go to the butcher, grocery store, or Restaurant Depot and buy just the beef cuts you want to cook. YMMV.

1 st buy black aka angus. You will get the best feed conversion. With that said go buy one that is a yearling weight (600-700lbs) .. Feed hay, depending on how good of grass you have.. other wise use a high corn cattle feed, cracked corn mixed in with some beef pellets twice a day works good.. CORN FEED is were its at.. (good marbling in my opinion) .. Feed it out to about 1300 lbs.. most of your processors like them around 1400..

With buying one at the 700 lb weight you can get it in the spring and it will be ready to butcher next winter.. Also you will have less risk, and less medication bill than buying something smaller.. should have much trouble at all..

Don't know much about doing this, but I was reminded of an interesting article on the subject you may enjoy, Toast. Guy buys a cow and follows it all the way through the process, tracks costs etc etc.

http://michaelpollan.com/articles-archive/power-steer/
If you haven't read this, it will give you pause. And yes, it does have some age on it, but it has to be pretty accurate today.

I can see buying a half or a quarter through a reputable butcher/supplier but to think that doing it from scratch? Not for the faint of heart. And for the people who want the"Reader's Digest" version, an approximately 1000 lb animal, which in all indications was a pretty good selection by the author, gave him....$30 in profit. This is NOT a game for the frugal but for the person who wants to know exactly what their protein has endured and doesn't mind the expense. One or two animals is like......silly, IMO.

Back