Thinking outside the Firebox

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
I often find myself wanting new gear. "Wouldn't it be cool to have a Santa Maria grill or a Chud Box?" The truth is I already have too much cooking gear and not using it to its full potential.

It occurred to me that there would really be no difference between a Chud Box and taking the drip pan out of my WSM and cooking on the lower rack.

Or maybe I could use the racks in my Shirley's warmer to simulate a Santa Maria.

I bet my Vortex would make a great Wok burner.

This spring & summer I am going to challenge myself to "think outside the firebox" and make better use of the gear I have.

:bounce:

That is all.

SS

That sounds like a great plan. Take us along and post your observations.

I have started taking the bowl out of my WSM and using it to cook wings on the top rack. I use the top rack to keep the food above the flare ups. Does a good job on sausage too.

HAALDZJl.jpg

David, I agree. Cool thinking.........

In general, I have too much chit. I've been trying to get my act together and downsize for a couple years as my kids are all out of the house and my cooking quantities are vastly less these days. I like having toys though!

As promised, I am attempting to make better use of the gear I have. This week I used the Shirley's Warmer as a vertical smoker. I made a new sausage: Bacon/Jalapeno/Cheddar Smoked Sausage.

5 lbs Pork
1 lb Bacon
1 lb High-temp Cheddar
6 large Jalapenos

Salt, Cumin, Mustard, Chili Powder, Oregano, Cure #1

I started by air-frying the jalapenos, then seeding and peeling them.
picture.php

No grind pics, but here is the stuffed sausage:
picture.php

Cured for 48 hours and air-dried:
picture.php

Into the warmer with a small fire. Running 160° to 175°.
picture.php

Four hours later, the sausage was 150°-155° IT.
picture.php

10 minutes in an ice bath, then back on the racks and into the fridge for 6 hours to bloom. Vaccuum sealed and ready for the freezer.
picture.php

This one is a keeper!

Thanks for looking.

Installment #2 of "Thinking outside the Firebox"

Over the winter I was watching some YouTube videos to get some new ideas. One that looked good to me was Chud's Cornell Chicken.

In my original post on this thread, I said that I thought I could emulate a Chudbox by taking the baffle out of my WSM and direct cooking on the lower grate. Last night I tested that theory by making Cornell Cornish Hens.

The Chudbox has a grate that is suspended 17" above the fire. I measured my WSM and I've got about 16". Close enough.
picture.php

I split some Cornish Hens and them marinated them in the Cornell marinate/sauce for about 3 hours.
picture.php

picture.php

Got my fire going:
picture.php

I hit them with a little extra poultry seasoning and threw them on the grate. The dome temp was ~325°.
picture.php

I checked them 45 minutes later and I gave them a flip:
picture.php

I temped them at 90 minutes. They were ~160° in the breasts and ~175° in the thighs.
picture.php

I plated them up with a green salad and drizzled with a little reserved sauce.
picture.php

Good stuff. Thanks for looking.

Back