Anyone try GrillGrates on a Santa Maria Grill??

RemoGaggi

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
RemoGaggi
Got a new cooking toy - Just picked up a Gabby's Santa Maria attachment for my Weber. I'm seeing some the new and (expensive) Santa Maria / Argentine grills have inverted V-type grates that catch excess grease. I obviously don't have that on my Gabby's attachment, but planning on trying out my GrillGrates on it this weekend. The Grillgrates have holes, so it won't catch all the grease, but just wondering if anyone has tried Grillgrates on a Santa Maria/Argentine grill and if it made any difference, good or bad. Thanks.

I prefer the grease/fat hits the coals

-D

Ironically my IR searing grill gets so hot, even with Grill Grates once the grease drips on the bottom part of the Grill Grates it flares up because they are so hot. I think its actually worse because the grease lingers on the bottom until it burns up. With regular grates the grease would drip down to the IR burners and vaporize almost instantly.

I have argentinian-style v grates on my Santa Maria grill; there are gaps between the grates so you do get some drippings onto the fire but usually not enough to get big flare-ups. I can't say how much this does or doesn't affect the flavor since I don't have any other grates for the grill to compare.

Note that the v-grates are angled so the collected grease runs off into trays; unless you do something to tilt the grill grates, you may have issues with the grease pooling. That could be an issue if you're reverse searing or it suddenly dumps a bunch of grease onto your fire.

Back