THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am done buying smokers for a long time! :wink:

Awesome choice, Dave! Can't wait to see the specs and build!

:brick::brick:
I thought about getting a Muscrat build, but the more I thought the less comfortable I was paying for a rip-off design. If I was Jamie I'd be awfully upset people kept cloning my pit. I'm willing to pay extra to not support that.

A J-5 is too big, I don't need the extra storage space or the chicken cooker and I don't want to try to manhandle that myself all the time.

LSG all the way. Unless you like to pay extra for the name. A ton extra. Then get the Jambo.

And if my girlfriend wouldn't ride with me because my pit wasn't "pretty" enough, then it would be time for a new girlfriend. Or she could always get out and walk.
Common sense.

IMHO, Jambo pits don't sell like they do because they're a popular trend. They also don't sell because their website is fancy either. They just cook consistently and are a solid smoker.

I'm not going to speak to the comparison to other cookers as I've not cooked on the "clones" out there, but I'll just say that, personally, I've not cooked on a better stick burner than a Jambo.

If you choose to go with a Jambo, you will not be disappointed.
I've not met one single Jambo cook that regrets their purchase, unless it's that they wish they'd upgraded.

Ditto on that. I have never spoken to a Jambo owner who didn't rave about the performance level of their rig.

Add the aesthetic appeal and it's hard to beat. When I tire of my Lang that's the first place I will look.

Jambo Pits are certainly beautiful and proven in the comp circuit but for the price point you should take a closer look at the Pitmaker Sniper models on their single axle trailers. They are traditional stick burner pits, non reverse flow and have way more functional cooking space than the J-3.

Got the pleasure of meeting Jamie Geer at Rod Gray's Competition Cook Class this past weekend ... he was pitmastering Rod's Pit for him. Very down to earth guy and loved picking his brain.

I have, as you know an R&O (Jambo) Clone and after seeing and using Rod's Jambo... hands down the Jambo is by far the superior product. Once they got it to temp it was a walk in the park maintaining the temp. @275 was simply adding a 12"x3" split every 55 minutes or so. Burned clean.

Construction was seamless. If I had to do it again, I'd go Jambo hands down!

When I had the private session with Tuffy a few months back we were cooking on his Jambo all day and it was a delight. That day the Jambo became my dream product. It was smooth and easy to maintain. Clean fire was easy to keep happening. If I win the lottery . . .

Beats the heck outta my Oklahoma Joe.

I just picked up a very little used Backyard a couple months ago (thought I was going to have a heart attack loading it in 110° Arizona sun). First thing I did was put some bearings, wheels and tires on it. Then, I cooked on it and Wow! what a pleasure. Holds temps and uses so much less wood than a little 36" stick burner I was using. Highs and lows are close together and burn time between logs are 50 - 60 minutes. I own a number of pits and told my wife I'm finally ready to sell a couple off! Not many, just a couple... :)

Attachments

I almost bought one until I found out leadtime. I bought a Meat Monster internal fire box made by Peoria Cookers with stainless stacks and shelf. Great looking and love the way it cooks everything from whole hog to chicken thighs. Great quality.

Back