Thinking about a pellet cooker - drinking

mrp116

Knows what a fatty is.
Have been thinking about a pellet grill for a while. Anyone have experience with the Camp Chef DLX? I see that it is on sale at HD as a "Special Buy of the Day" for $485 and free shipping. I want enough space to be able to lay at least four racks flat. Anyone have any experience with this? I have about 45 minutes before the deal ends. Tomorrow when I sober up, I may find better uses for that $500.

You could probably get 4 slabs of BB ribs. Spares would be pushing it. cooking grate is 22" x 19.5 = 429 sq inches. The cooling grate is 6" x 24" = 144 sq inches. You could possibly get 1 slab of spares on the top rack, with some overhang. Maybe 3 slabs on the main grate, if they are small, but they would have to be small slabs.

My lil Tex is the same size and if you shorten the racks you might be able to fit 4 going across but it would be tight.

Typically I run 2 racks and an amazen tube

Edit: 2 of the 4 racks would be partially outside of the drip pan which affects temps

You could buy the jerky rack system. I think I get three on my Camp chef SE model. That's a good deal for the DLX. Here some pics I found, not mine. I think the pic is the DLX.

I did six racks using the regular grate and I some angle on the cooking grate and added another full grate above the main grate and got six flat.

Last edited:
I bought a Camp Chef Woodwind and I love it. Has been pretty good to me. I know on mine I could get 4 racks flat, might be tight. I have done 3 racks and a stuffed fatty for the Super Bowl. Not sure how that model compares to the Woodwind, but again, so far so good.

Last edited:
Okay. Thanks for the info. I did purchase the DLX, I think. I got a call from my bank's fraud detection department saying they had discovered some suspicious activity and declined the purchase. I told them it was authorized, but that call didn't come in until this morning after the deal ended. The e-mail I received from HD said I had 24 hrs to contact them and resolve the issue. So, I called HD and explained the situation to them, they reran the card with no problem, and said all was fine. We shall see.

The jerky rack system looks like it would be a solution.

Also, I believe, from what I have read on a couple pellet specific forums, that the DLX and Woodwind are the same size.

I don't have the DLX, I have the SE so this may not apply..........only problem I ever have is with the temp sensor at out door temps below 15f. For some reason it doesn't want to run at that temp....... Might not be a problem for you, I cook on mine at least 5 nights a week year round. Otherwise I love the thing for ease of use and I cook everything from cake to whole turkeys and everything between. Hope you like it!

I don't have the DLX, I have the SE so this may not apply..........only problem I ever have is with the temp sensor at out door temps below 15f. For some reason it doesn't want to run at that temp....... Might not be a problem for you, I cook on mine at least 5 nights a week year round. Otherwise I love the thing for ease of use and I cook everything from cake to whole turkeys and everything between. Hope you like it!

That's odd. I ran mine all winter, even at minus 5 out. Ran all night for a brisket cook and the pellet consumption wasn't as bad as though it would be.

I just picked up a camp chef se from walmart for $169. Might want to check your local walmart, looks like they're clearing them out. You can look at your stores inventory at brickseek.com sku# 54189385.

I just picked up a camp chef se from walmart for $169. Might want to check your local walmart, looks like they're clearing them out. You can look at your stores inventory at brickseek.com sku# 54189385.

Damn! No love by me. One store had it listed at 89 dollars but 0 inventory. :mad:

I kick myself for not jumping on this deal a few weeks ago:doh:

That's odd. I ran mine all winter, even at minus 5 out. Ran all night for a brisket cook and the pellet consumption wasn't as bad as though it would be.

Yeah, I kinda think the issue runs deeper, I'm just telling myself it's the temp so I don't have to mess with it. It's only been a problem twice. As far as pellet consumption goes I think they do pretty well. I have an old "quilted" style moving blanket that I put over the cook chamber on cold days and that seems to help even more.

Good news, I got a shipping confirmation. Looks like next weekend I should hopefully be trying out my first cook on this. First cook on my WSM was ribs. Seeing as how I'm doing those this weekend, I may be trying a butt next weekend. I did not purchase this to do butts (my WSM has those down perfectly), but I may have to see what it can do with one. I do understand the lighter smoke profile, and I'm assuming a little less bark on butts. I do not foil butts.

Congrats! Over the past 2 years I have become a complete pellet head. That’s after years and years of burning lump and logs. I’m loving the ease, and the results are fantastic! Look forward to seeing you put your new pellet cooker the good use, and hearing your thoughts/opinions[emoji4]

My local store was showing 0 and my buddy went and they had 1 or 2 left.
I almost bought the other to keep in the box as a spare.
Hell it does not hurt to have an extra to do sides. I might pick one up just to do beans and Mac&Cheese.

Congrats! Over the past 2 years I have become a complete pellet head. That’s after years and years of burning lump and logs. I’m loving the ease, and the results are fantastic! Look forward to seeing you put your new pellet cooker the good use, and hearing your thoughts/opinions[emoji4]
I love mine. One of the greatest inventions ever!!! I love to set and forget. However I have been mixing pellets. For ribs I have been doing like 60% Hickory 30% Cherry and 10% Pecan. Using the Trager brands at my local Ace Hardware, but I found the B&B Pellets at Walmart are not half bad, not to mention $9 bucks for a 20lb bag.

Back