Thermometer options and Maverick quality

I goofed. Bought a new Maverick ET-732. 1 year later never taken out of the box. I just got bummed after reading so many posts about problems. The Thermopen is so fast and accurate I don't want to fool with anything else in my meat.
LOL, wow...

Seriously, you think it's worth popping the lid instead of using a remote gauge that some have apparently had problems with?

For the record, I've used mine dozens of times in the last 18 months or so with zero issues outside of one probe failing (when it was loaned to a neighbor who washed the probe in the dishwasher). I tested the temp accuracy in boiling water and it was dead on...

Not sure why anyone would not even try it - mine works amazingly well and allows me to turn out BBQ without chasing temps from opening the smoker.

Just use it. Worst case is it dies after a few uses, but by then you'll understand the benefit...

Earlier in this post I said some positive things about my Maverick ET-733, but I used it twice since then and the batteries were gone in the receiver both times.

From this same thread AClarke44 has reported the same problem:
Mine works fine but if I don't remove the batteries from the receiver they will be dead by the next time I use it. Not a major issue but considering that I paid over $70 for it, I shouldn't have to do that.

I think my receiver ran out of batteries a couple times before too and I thought I might have left it on, but these past two times I am very sure I turned it off because I read AClarke44's post so I was being careful.

Has anyone else had this problem?

This is a pain because it requires pulling the batteries before storing after every use and then re-install the batteries before using again. It’s even worse because you have to re-program the receiver for your probe configuration and temperature alarm settings every time you replace batteries and the transmitter has screws instead of a snap on battery cover.

This is bad – we shouldn’t have to do this (see below) every time we use an expensive little thermometer:
MaverickET-733BadBatteries_zps8e5948a3.jpg

This may only be a problem with the receiver because my transmitter has not run out of batteries - but - I can't be sure about the transmitter being OK because just to be safe every time I have had to change the batteries in the receiver I do the same in the transmitter.

Hey Maverick - if you read the forum you need to fix this bug!

Earlier in this post I said some positive things about my Maverick ET-733, but I used it twice since then and the batteries were gone in the receiver both times.

From this same thread AClarke44 has reported the same problem:

I think my receiver ran out of batteries a couple times before too and I thought I might have left it on, but these past two times I am very sure I turned it off because I read AClarke44's post so I was being careful.

Has anyone else had this problem?

This is a pain because it requires pulling the batteries before storing after every use and then re-install the batteries before using again. It’s even worse because you have to re-program the receiver for your probe configuration and temperature alarm settings every time you replace batteries and the transmitter has screws instead of a snap on battery cover.

This is bad – we shouldn’t have to do this (see below) every time we use an expensive little thermometer:
MaverickET-733BadBatteries_zps8e5948a3.jpg

This may only be a problem with the receiver because my transmitter has not run out of batteries - but - I can't be sure about the transmitter being OK because just to be safe every time I have had to change the batteries in the receiver I do the same in the transmitter.

Hey Maverick - if you read the forum you need to fix this bug!

have you contacted Maverick? I find their CS to be very good

My et733 receiver had the problem with the batteries going dead after shutting it off. Contacted maverick, sent my receiver in and they shipped me a new one and I have had no problems with this one.

LOL, wow...

Seriously, you think it's worth popping the lid instead of using a remote gauge.........

There's no need to open the lid until it's almost done and that's the time it's time for a bone test on chicken, turkey, pork butts or flex ribs, etc. When I probe turkey or chicken I always probe in more than one location for safety reasons. The lid is opened at other times for other things such as wrapping, mopping etc. My last cook of rib eyes was probed twice. This was 3 steaks cooked to 3 different levels of doneness.

This thread confirms my decision to get a TW8060. A co-worker bought one a month or so ago and brought it to work. The meter seemed industrially solid and the probe cords looked almost bulletproof. I don't need wireless

My et733 receiver had the problem with the batteries going dead after shutting it off. Contacted maverick, sent my receiver in and they shipped me a new one and I have had no problems with this one.

Thanks. I will follow your advice and contact Maverick. Hopefully they can send me a receiver that doesn't need to have the batteries pulled after every cook, have the batteries reinstalled before every cook and reprogram the receiver settings before every cook. This adds several wasted minutes to the back and front of every cook.

I will let everyone know if Maverick sends me a new unit that doesn't have this problem. Even if they do make good, IMO they should not ship a product with such a serious bug. This costs their customers time and confusion when the bug happens and time to get a replacement unit.

Thanks again for the advice, I will follow it.

I was one of the ones that used the discount, the ET-733 I got didnt work out of the box. The sending unit works but the receiver screen will not display. It beeps but nothing. I just shipped it back to Amazon. I have an older iGrill that I'm going to dig back out now.

Had the 732 for a year and never had a problem. Bought the 733 when in went on sale and have only used it once. I think they are great, can't beat the price. I think a lot of people get the probes wet where they meet the wire and ruin them. I have a friend that has one too and he loves it as well.

I can't say enough bad things about the maverick's. Pro's... they are inexpensive. Con's, they are cheap with awful reliability. The probes may or may not last more than a month. I want something I can use 2-3 times per week and believe the temp readings. I spent more and went with Thermoworks because they work and are reliable instead of relying on a Chinese toy. However, it is not wireless. For that, you need to step up to a Stoker or a Guru

This is my first post here on this site...so I hope I can help. I purchased one about a month ago and have 10 cooks with it so far. I calibrated in Ice water and one probe said 33 and the other 35 degree...close enough for me. I use a Thermapen to confirm everything before I pull it off the smoker. They seem to be within 2 degrees of my Thermapen which I trust very much.

I have been cautious not to submerge them when cleaning as I have read that this will kill the probe...I use those disaffecting wipes and they work great! I have never had the 732...but the 733 is easy to program. The range seems to be good as well...I am about 40 yards from my pit and it still works fine. I have a GMG DB remote smoker and this makes fine adjustments in the middle of the night great since I don't even have to leave the house.

On a unrelated subject heading up to Wichita tomorrow to pick up a Yoder YS640 to give me a little more capacity :whoo:

Great Site!

Back