The Wait is Over...Tuscaloosa bound(Long Post)

tmv1976

Knows what a fatty is.
Got the call from Paul early July saying my smoker would be done in a couple weeks, it seemed like just a few days prior I made that first call and inquired about the smoker. So on the morning of July 22nd I began the final step of the journey in getting a Shirley to call my own.

Getting close

Stopped by the shop and talked to Paul and the rest of the men that make Shirley Fabrication thrive. I was there close to an hour but, could have stayed and shot the **** the whole day. Time for me to get back home with the newest addition to the family.

Got her home and did a seasoning in preparation for a big first cook. The weather however was looking mighty suspect, I was hesitant doing a big cook as this was my first time using a stick burner, along with the rain and unknown wood quality I decided the cook would go on but just a lot smaller.
Cooked a choice brisket from Walmart and pork collar from SRF.

The next morning I figured I might as well test the ole griddle out.

That night I decided to try out a Tri Tip on the the searing station in the warmer. I put the meat in a SV bath at 122* for a few hours, seasoned with S/P

The next morning I fired up the smoker for the first big smoke, I ended up doing 5 butts and 4 hams. I really enjoy cubing the ham up and putting it in my scrambled eggs, and the butt well, its just awesome as a leftover.

And a few pictures of the smoker

Overall Impressions

There is no way to get around the fact that Shirley Fabrication rigs are highly spoken of, and that sometimes makes it difficult for a company to live up to expectations. But I'm here to tell you without a doubt Paul and the rest of the guys live up to and surpass any expectations you will have. I knew the smoker would be nice but, the attention to detail and pride that they take in every facet of their work is rarely seen now a days. I wasn't in the market for a stick burner until I watched a few of Paul's videos. After watching 4 or 5 of them and reading some here I was hooked, not just with the quality of cooker they build but, the quality of a man that Paul and the rest of the guys are.

Being new to a stick burner I was a little worried if I could run the machine without any hiccups. After the seasoning session all those fears were gone, each cook has been simple. I throw a few sticks on every 45 minutes or so and the cooker holds around 275-300*, no questions asked. The searing station is flawless, I wasn't sure how it would work but after using it I'm getting rid of my Akorn which makes my wife happy. The griddle is great, there is a learning curve with the burners though. First time using a griddle also so it took me a few cooks to figure out the temps, I was cooking way too high in the beginning. Oh yeah I'm also getting rid of the Char Broil oil less fryer and will just smoke the bird, another win for my wife.

Things I would change/add
- I completely overlooked the need for a paper towel holder. Such a little thing, I remember thinking "I'll never need that" WRONG!
- I'm really liking the griddle and see myself using it quite a bit, I wish I would have looked into getting a three burner version so I had more surface area to work with, its plenty big as is for my family, but I could see myself using it to cook for crowds.

To sum it all up I could not be more happy with my experience. From day one Paul was a humble guy and would bend over backwards to answer my questions. The day I picked her up Paul was exactly what I though he would be, along with the guys you don't see all that much like Colton and TW, great guys. If you read all the way to the end, thanks for sharing my journey.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new pit.
it's funny the things you notice in a picture, Cigar City Jai Alai? Their Maduro is great too.
The brewery is not far from me.

Thanks Guys.

Smoked Ranger- Thanks, and to you too. I didn't catch it in a good light but the dagger and crossed arrows are a slightly lighter shade and a little more reflective that the rest of the crest, in sun it really pops out and looks amazing.

Good eye, I general try to crop clutter out of pictures but, this post was too big. It's a really solid beer. Between that and Lagunitas Little Sumpin they are my go to's.

Tim it looks like you are a master on the pit already... thx for the great post.... I can help you out on a paper towel holder... in fact I'll fab one up that can be used for paper towels and foil at the same time ..... all you will have to do is drill 2 holes and bolt it on... the hardware will be there too.... I'll give you a call next week.....

Tim it looks like you are a master on the pit already... thx for the great post.... I can help you out on a paper towel holder... in fact I'll fab one up that can be used for paper towels and foil at the same time ..... all you will have to do is drill 2 holes and bolt it on... the hardware will be there too.... I'll give you a call next week.....

Who needs Weber customer service when you have The Man himself sending out follow ups? :clap:

Nice rig and customer service second to non! Yet another reason Shirley will get my call when I'm ready to pull the trigger on an offset!

Congrats on the new cooker! Paul and Tyler spent an hour helping me get the last bolt in my tow hitch. Couldn't get the dang thing on by myself. I'm sure it would have been fine as everyone i asked said it was OK but they insisted on fixing it. Sometimes I want to order another cooker just to have a reason to visit. What size/specs?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Lloyd, I didn't know what the heck a pork collar was either but it was on sale at SRF and I had some credits on my account so I went for it. Below is an excerpt from a internet search. It turned out pretty dang good.

"Pork collar is a fairly unfamiliar American cut. It is the part of the shoulder that runs from the base of the pig’s neck to the tip of the loin. You don’t often see it stateside, but it’s commonly used in Europe. Pork collar is the same cut of muscle used to make coppa, and the layer of fat on top is the best for curing lardo."

Back