THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BBQ Roadtrip Project

Updates:

1. My first trip will start in St Louis on April 11th. I intend to drive south/east and spend a week mainly in Tennessee and maybe Mississippi/Alabama. Will most likely fly out from Nashville or Memphis on April 18th. So if you're in this area, or know a place I should go, let me know. I hope this first trip will result in 2-3 interviews that will be a kind of pilot for the project that I can then show to publishers.

2. I have started a facebook group for the project. Please join the group and spread the word to people who could be helpful or interesting to meet! You'll find it here:

http://on.fb.me/1OktZIc

See you in April?

Cheers,

Chris

Updates:

1. My first trip will start in St Louis on April 11th. I intend to drive south/east and spend a week mainly in Tennessee and maybe Mississippi/Alabama. Will most likely fly out from Nashville or Memphis on April 18th. So if you're in this area, or know a place I should go, let me know. I hope this first trip will result in 2-3 interviews that will be a kind of pilot for the project that I can then show to publishers.

2. I have started a facebook group for the project. Please join the group and spread the word to people who could be helpful or interesting to meet! You'll find it here:

http://on.fb.me/1OktZIc

See you in April?

Cheers,

Chris

St.Louis is a good starting point but don't make the mistake of heading south and skipping KC. KC BBQ has a lot more to offer, IMO.

As far as St.Louis goes, for me the trifecta is Ropers, Pappy's, and Bogart's. Carl at Ropers and Mike at Pappy's are extremely friendly and would make great interviews. Two completely different kinds of joints too.

Good luck!

Why start in St. Louis??? Go to Kansas City... It's actually known for BBQ and even has the highest rated BBQ joint in the country in Q39

When you are in Alabama, go to Demopolis and visit Canecutters Smokehouse and Grill. You will not be disappointed.

Before I start digging deeper into this, and laying out routes, stops etc.

Are there any already existing books or documentaries that my idea would be similar to? I don't mean books that focus only on cooking bbq, but that contain the documentary element - interviews, pictures, travel? Or at least that attempt to cover the history and geographical variations of barbeque (that I should read to get my facts straight).

Chris

Smokestack Lightning by Lolis Eric Elie

Back