The True Pitmaster

OldBill I swear your my long lost twin.:lol::thumb:
LOL! Yeah I think many of us here are kindred spirits, looking for a place to go and commune with friends and acquaintances of a like mind as the world continues to go strait to hell around us! I guess that's part of the reason why we call ourselves "BRETHREN" here.:wink:

Very, very true post. It is the folks that don't get the accolades that are the True Pitmasters. Thanks for sharing.

I see them as two different terms. Pit Master & Pitmaster

To me, a "Pit Master" is a title earned.

A "Pitmaster" is just someone who plays with BBQ and thinks they are good at it. Thus the show name.

You want to call yourself a Pitmaster? Go ahead. But only the world will tell you if you are a Pit Master.

I see them as two different terms. Pit Master & Pitmaster

To me, a "Pit Master" is a title earned.

A "Pitmaster" is just someone who plays with BBQ and thinks they are good at it. Thus the show name.

You want to call yourself a Pitmaster? Go ahead. But only the world will tell you if you are a Pit Master.
Sounds like the difference between barbecue and barbecued :wink:

About 20 years ago I was visiting my younger brother in Jax, FL. We went to Bono's (original location), sat at the counter and ordered "The Feast", a meal intended to feed a good-sized family. That place was so poorly ventilated that the whole place was like being in a smoker; in other words, fantastic! The Pit Master, an old black man I believe named Harvey, put together our meal and took care of us while we demolished that platter of pork, turkey, chicken, ribs and sausage. He was a true Pit Master and the picture in the first post very much reminds me of him. I very much respected him then, and miss him now.

About 20 years ago I was visiting my younger brother in Jax, FL. We went to Bono's (original location), sat at the counter and ordered "The Feast", a meal intended to feed a good-sized family. That place was so poorly ventilated that the whole place was like being in a smoker; in other words, fantastic! The Pit Master, an old black man I believe named Harvey, put together our meal and took care of us while we demolished that platter of pork, turkey, chicken, ribs and sausage. He was a true Pit Master and the picture in the first post very much reminds me of him. I very much respected him then, and miss him now.
Yep I got fond memories of Bono's place on Beach Blvd I used to eat there at least twice a week I lived in Jax Beach from 88-91.

Pictured in the OP is George Gates father of Ollie Gates that now owns Gates BBQ.

His history goes back with Perry and Charlie Bryant.

Here is the rundown:

Kansas City has a rich history of barbeque. The roots are traced back over a hundred years to 1908 where Kansas City barbeque evolved from the pit of Henry Perry. Perry, from Tennessee, sold his smoked meats in the famous Jazz District of Kansas City. Originally selling BBQ as a street vendor, he moved and began to operate his restaurant out of a trolley barn at 19th and Highland throughout the 1920′s and 1930′s. There, you could purchase your smoked meat wrapped in newspaper for 25¢. Arthur Bryant

http://nobullbbq.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/gates-ol-kentucky.jpg

19th and Highland today

Henry Perry died in 1940, but his legacy and restaurant lived on by Charlie Bryant, who had worked for Perry. Charlie took over Perry’s restaurant but didn’t change anything from the original. Charlie brought in his brother Arthur and history began to be made. In 1946, Arthur took over the restaurant. He had more vision than his brother. Arthur perfected the sauce, changing it from the harsh sauce that Perry’s was known for, and sweetened it a bit. Next, he moved the restaurant to it’s current location at 1727 Brooklyn. This building had much better visibility and was five blocks north of Municipal Stadium. Sports fans, ball players, as well as the many workers in Kansas City’s garment district. Through the years, Arthur Bryant’s has welcomed presidents and politicians, actors, professional athletes, and barbeque fans from around the world.

I think about what the old pit masters did with tough meat and table scraps. They made it delicious with nothing more than fire, wood and a few seasonings. Back in the day before steroids and antiboitics, I'm sure the quality of the meat was much better. We started tinkering with the herds to create cows with more meat and less fat, with no regard of what it did to the taste. Back in the days of Henry Perry and Big Bob Gibson, having the title pit master meant a lot more. I have been on BBQ Pitmasters but I only consider myself a very good cook.

This article about Roy Perez of Kreuz Market is a great definition of "pitmaster" to me.

http://www.tmbbq.com/interview-roy-perez-of-kreuz-market/

Good article! Roy is definitely a great example of a real Pit Master. I've been blessed, Lockhart and Kreuz Market is about 15 minutes away from my house!:-D I usually make my own Q but when I want to buy some Kreuz is one of the places I will go to.:wink:

Back