The Stoker now has WiFi AKA "The Black Box"

Sorry, took me a bit to reply. New Box works like a champ. It looks good and everything was good to go right out of the box. I verified the probes were set to correct temperature and they were from the factory. I quickly put it all together and slapped it on the WSM. I only ran it in standalone mode because I wanted to test it out and BBQ of course. I had it connected to my laptop through a crossover cable running stoker log and web interface. All temps were maintained well and the fan blower held very very steady temps.
This weekend I hope tap into the WIFI and see what works and doesn’t work with the supposedly new software to support WIFI coming out next month.

Great!! Glad it's working out for you! Now we will have to wait to see how good the WiFi range will be. I'm sure that will vary greatly on the type of router you have, but hopefully it will be good...

So maybe someone can answer this for me, can you buy your own CFM fan and a k type thermocouple smoker probe and wire each one to what it look like a TRS connector and be good to go?

Last edited:
Looks like the wifi software upgrade won't drop until January!

rocksbarbque.com said:
UPDATE September 19, 2011:
NEWARK, Ca., September 19, 2011 – Due to unexpected circumstances, the release of the WiFi software has been delayed until January 2012. We sincerely apologize for the extended delay of the software.

Overpriced wireless bridge. Growing tired of Stoker overcharging for everything. It makes Guru a more attractive option.

I know this post is old, but I felt compelled to comment.

Don't buy it if you don't like the price...It is called supply and demand, would you like to join the 99% and have Rock give it to you because you just want one.

My issue is that you are paying for a partially functional product with a promise that it will work in the future.......

I know this post is old, but I felt compelled to comment.

Don't buy it if you don't like the price...It is called supply and demand, would you like to join the 99% and have Rock give it to you because you just want one.

Marty, My new black box stoker is fully functional and provides control of my WSM's (with ugly plastic handles) that is better than I thought possible. When and if the new software comes out I will just remove the router that I have hooked to it and use the internal. If not it works just perfect the way it is set up. Kinda like a Escalade without the On-Star subscription. Its still an Escalade.

NUTZ

Marty, My new black box stoker is fully functional and provides control of my WSM's (with ugly plastic handles) that is better than I thought possible. When and if the new software comes out I will just remove the router that I have hooked to it and use the internal. If not it works just perfect the way it is set up. Kinda like a Escalade without the On-Star subscription. Its still an Escalade.

NUTZ

Yeah... What he said! :becky:

My issue is that you are paying for a partially functional product with a promise that it will work in the future.......

That seems pretty deceptive on their part. It's bad enough they put a half-finished product to market, with a claim the primary feature people are paying for won't be available until September. Then a further delay until January?

I wonder if they offer refunds to those who don't want to wait any longer for a fully-functional unit??

NUTZ

Yelonutz-

Since you've purchased one of these, can I ask what the size of the unit is? I looked on the website and it doesn't say anywhere.

Thanks!
Chad

Yelonutz-

Since you've purchased one of these, can I ask what the size of the unit is? I looked on the website and it doesn't say anywhere.

Thanks!
Chad

It's pretty much the same size as the previous unit which is about 5x7x2" (sizes are approximated from memory). The new one is a little bit longer front to back due to the hood that sticks out over the display.

• Thanks
Reactions: cpw
It's pretty much the same size as the previous unit which is about 5x7x2" (sizes are approximated from memory). The new one is a little bit longer front to back due to the hood that sticks out over the display.
OK, thanks. I'm about 99% sure I'm getting myself one for Christmas. Just can't bring myself to pull the trigger yet.

Bump :redface: I'm thinking about getting a stoker for my UDS I was wanting to know what size fan folks with uds's use, on rock's site the comparability guide says 10 cfm fan but dam its getting pricey I do HnF cooks so does anyone know if the 5cfm blower will get me up to 350*?

Well it's end of January and no WI-FI update for the Stoker. Just got off the phone with them and they have no idea when it will be working. NOT HAPPY. :mad2:

Well it's end of January and no WI-FI update for the Stoker. Just got off the phone with them and they have no idea when it will be working. NOT HAPPY. :mad2:

Ah Dammit. I was very much looking forward to testing it out this weekend too. I must be an idiot, but it doesn't seem like making the wifi work would take 6 months.

Anyone got an old wireless router they want to donate?

That's disappointing. I've got the black box version and the built in wifi would have been really nice.

Back