The Stoker now has WiFi AKA "The Black Box"

Here's the latest from Rock's:

UPDATE February 1 2012:
Thank you very much for your patience. We are working diligently on the WiFi firmware and plan to have it released in one to two weeks. We had underestimated the effect WiFi would have to the software as a whole. In initial testing the performance was too slow. We were unable to achieve the speed and performance needed without modifying the existing architecture, which has been much more work than anticipated. These issues coupled with unavoidable schedule conflicts have created unintentional delays. We are confident in our product and it is not our intention to further delay the release of the firmware. We will release the firmware as soon as possible. We appreciate everyone's support and understanding.

From Rock's press release "We were unable to achieve the speed and performance needed without modifying the existing architecture"

So this leads me to believe the issue is hardware related. Not something easily fixed with a firmware update. Really Not Happy :mad2::mad2:

Marty, My new black box stoker is fully functional and provides control of my WSM's (with ugly plastic handles) that is better than I thought possible. When and if the new software comes out I will just remove the router that I have hooked to it and use the internal. If not it works just perfect the way it is set up. Kinda like a Escalade without the On-Star subscription. Its still an Escalade.

NUTZ

Nicely said.

282130_2253339337028_1354630820_32689088_695974_n.jpg

Ah Dammit. I was very much looking forward to testing it out this weekend too. I must be an idiot, but it doesn't seem like making the wifi work would take 6 months.

Anyone got an old wireless router they want to donate?

Most pawn shops have older linksys routers for 10-20 bucks. Not a big deal I would say. If you like the unit, add a VERY inexpensive router to the mix, drop it into a 4 dollar plastic tub, drill a couple holes in it for air flow and call it done. I run DD-WRT on all our linksys routers and have a very nice working MESH network intact. My directv DVRs are all happily streaming video between them over these "old routers".
Happy to help anyone out with getting their router setup if they need it.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

I didn't think of a pawnshop for a router, but I did look at craiglist. I may have to take a stroll down to the pawnshop tomorrow at lunch.

I have no issues with my wireless access point hooking up to my router and it works fast and flawless. Has for a year, now. I even built a few patch boxes to rout probes from a pellet pit, BGE and UDS all to the control unit and run over 12 inputs. Can't beat the Stoker for flexibility and ability. If the wireless built in works just as well it would be nice for those grabbing the newer units.

Back