The SHmart coal starter cage

OferL

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
I watched this video
https://youtu.be/SYpVkt-MxAg
and at 00:23 I saw a new thing I knew I needed.
Using the SNS kettle I had a problem placing my charcoal chimney. If I put it on the bottom grate then I would have to take out the drip pan and that would be very messy.
I tried to start the coals by putting the fire starter in the slow n sear basket. But then I had to keep the coals from touching the starter. Otherwise they would choke the fire. So I needed to place the coals around and above the lit starter and that always crashed.

When I saw that little box or cage in the video I realized that was the answer. But I didn't like the small holes and I thought I could do better. So I created the SHmart cage.

7Y8IZWbl.jpg

Basically I ripped the bottom of an old chimney and bent it to fit the bottom of the slow n sear.
It's tall enough to give the starter some breathing room and the wire is just apart enough to let the flame through without the charcoal falling through.
Yes.
That's how these chimneys are built. I know.

I put three starters underneath. Lit them and covered with charcoal.

awgQDlWl.jpg

This second picture was taken less than 5 minutes later.

qgIxXINl.jpg

As you can see they are getting red fast.
A few minutes more the starters were burnt and I pulled the cage out. The coals around the cage were very well lit.

qBPeGDxl.jpg

Here it is. The SHmart cage (tm)

lG7yfQul.jpg

Rust coated.
Hand and pliers bent.
Does the job.

Another reason to love my gas assist on my performer lol, great idea and might make 1 for my smokey joe.

Back