The Shirley Fabrication Options Thread

Absolutely. I have a 24x50 and am planning a hog cook for next spring.

Paul says If I cook it racer style, I should be able to fit an 80-100 lber on there, and my grates are only 40" long..

Last edited:
I've had mine since April 2015, completely in love with it!
Just like anything, always seeing and thinking about things I could of had them do, still as good as I could imagine!
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D:-D

Firebox note: ***Shagdog figured this out***

with the insulated fb the warmer will run about 150 degrees when the main chamber is running at 300+.

with the standard fb the warmer will run about 210 degrees when the main chamber is running at 300+.

this is really need to know info especially if you plan on using it to hold meat and not cook meat.

update...

Paul suggested opening the warmer exhaust on the cookers without the insulated fb to lower the temps so the food keeps warm instead of continuing to cook.:thumb:

Being an old farker - halfway thru 8th decade - and one who doesn't cook for crowds big enough to need a smoker this size and one who will never have one but who covets all who do with great big green eyes, I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread - and not by any means least - the Shirleys!

I do have one question that I'd like to see your opinions on. Being a native of NC, I've been to many a pig pickin' and even helped keep the fires going for a few. In later years there, I began to see gas fired pig cookers. Not to get into the argument about the merits of one over the other (I prefer wood smoke), I can see the advantage to having the ability to use gas - at my age that would mean not losing a night's sleep. So, looking at the creativity and remarkable skills exhibited by the Shirleys, I was wondering if anyone had ever considered adding a removable gas burner so that a smoker could be used for wood or gas.

There are probably lots of reasons why my speculations won't work, but I'd be obliged if you'd point them out.

regards
cb

update...

Paul suggested opening the warmer exhaust on the cookers without the insulated fb to lower the temps so the food keeps warm instead of continuing to cook.:thumb:

Yeah all I've been doing is opening the exhaust and butterfly valve to get it more in the 150 range. You can always crack the door a smidge as well. I normally run my main chamber over 300 so those few things get me to where I want to be in the warmer.

also this is my Shirley Fabrication fire pit that is made out of a 30 gallon propane tank and this was how I wanted mine made to order .

Last edited:
Here's a pretty comprehensive list of the normal upgrades. I did most of them lol. This isn't my actual smoker but once I ordered mine Tyler had pics of this one which was basically just what I ordered. Only difference is I extended the stainless to in front of the char grill and I have a rotated warmer.

I covered the prices because I didn't want to post the prices where they were when I ordered but someone who looks at thos a year from now it'll be dofferent due to prices of metal. Also because I'm not sure how Paul and Tyler would have felt about it. I think price posting is their right and business, not mine.

, I was wondering if anyone had ever considered adding a removable gas burner so that a smoker could be used for wood or gas.

There are probably lots of reasons why my speculations won't work, but I'd be obliged if you'd point them out.

regards
cb

I have seen an "afterburner" in use in a Lang and don't know why you could not do it in a Shirley if you were so inclined.

http://gassmoker.com/products/

Back