The new shirley is home and breathing fire (pron heavy)

Wood Fire Steel

Full Fledged Farker
I made the trip to Tuscaloosa yesterday to pick up my new shirley. I went with a 24x65 cabinet model with extended warmer on a modified trailer with removable tongue. I have three wireless ports. I have the shelf extended to the front of the warmer. I had them add a beefed up bacon/sausage hanger in the warmer along with an extra shelf. I went with both baffled as well as the baffle plate between the firebox and the main. It is beyond what I expected. I met the whole family. Everyone was extremely nice. Did not spend much time at the compound as I had 3 hours to drive and as you can guess they were crazy busy. It pulled very good even with fairly heavy wind and 80 miles per hour. I was a bit concerned with the narrow trailer and the amount of weight on the rear. Just a slight tongue bounce but only on the terrible bumpy roads around Birmingham and 75-80 mph. Even with the roads and speed it was very minimal and not an issue. When I ran in restaurant depot on the way home my dad stayed in the car and said he should have charged admission with all of the looky loos looking at the pit. Got home too late to season her. Up early this am to start seasoning. I ran a small fire at 160-200 for a couple hours to help cure the paint since it was very fresh. After a couple hours I eased her up to 300. Held her there for an hour and brought her back down to 275z put on a pork butt rubbed with burnt beans co pork rub topped with yard bird to bump the sweetness of the savory burnt beans co run. Also put on a bacon wrapped fatty with yard bird rub. It has been 15 years since I ran a stick burner, but this beast is dialed in with no effort. Do I have TBS?? Nope, I have crystal clear smoke. She is burning super clean. Sorry for the long post and lots of pron. also sorry for any pictures turned sideways. The upload engine has a mind of its own.

Attachments

• IMG_5161.jpg
    IMG_5161.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_5165.jpg
    IMG_5165.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_5177.jpg
    IMG_5177.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_5180.jpg
    IMG_5180.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_5175.jpg
    IMG_5175.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_5171.jpg
    IMG_5171.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 349
Have a great day and first cook with that beautiful beast!

You need to quit apologizing for post length and amount of pron. Both are greatly appreciated!

Nice cooker!

Beautiful shot of the weld bead too.

Cook went well. Only stumbles were mine not the cooker. Next time may go a little longer without wrapping. This butt had a ton of fat and after the wrap it basically took a hot bath. Gave me a bit of uneven texture ( some over some under). The smoke flavor was good and clean just want a bit more thus delaying the wrap or mixing in some hickory. All in all I am very pleased

Attachments

• IMG_5192.jpg
    IMG_5192.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
sizing or something? I do mine on phone and photobucket on phone but have to check them in photos and rotate them sometimes..........

Back