THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

drunkenmeatfist

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Sammy
I just wanted to share this short tale of ultimate victory and crushing defeat and I thought this is the place where someone might appreciate it.

I stopped by the local supermarket on the way home to grab some stuff to grill for dinner the next couple of nights. Planned on grabbing "southwest grillers" which are some type of cheap beef that can be cooked like a steak and I was going to get a catfish filet for tonight. While I was waiting on the seafood guy I looked in the bargain bin and saw Chilean Sea Bass that had been marked down from $29 to $3.40 for one filet. I looked in the bin and found at least two more packages that were less than $4, but were originally $30 plus. I was in a hurry and figured they put Corvina Sea Bass in the wrong package, but it was cheap so I just grabbed the most uniform filet. The fish and a russet potato cost me right at $4 out the door.

I fired up a chimney of coals and once they were going I dumped them in the Vortex that was in my kamado. 20 minutes later I rubbed melted butter on the fish, seasoned it with Blackened Redfish Magic and headed to the grill. When I saw the dome therm I knew I messed up because it was sitting at 200. I forgot to open the bottom vent. Fish went back on the counter and I hit the coals with as much air as possible. Another 20 minutes later the grill was hot enough so I put the fish outside of the Vortex. After another 20 minutes the fish was at 135 so I pulled it.

I sat down to a dinner of fish and potatoes and as soon as I took the first bite I realized why that fish could be sold for $30 per pound. It was buttery and delicious. Every bite I took was so good I had to sit and savor the moment. I realized that I made a serious error by not snatching up every filet that was in that bargain bin.

After I polished the fish off I headed back to the store hoping that somehow everyone overlooked a huge deal on excellent fish. I left the store empty handed because they were all gone. Without a doubt the best $4 meal I will ever have though.

Back