The dawning of my UDS. "The Cool Hand Luke Project" (PRON)

Im assuming you are a CO. Father in law is in the business but only thing he got from an inmate was a shiv to his ribs. Gotta love CA inmates i guess.

On a side note, have him build a removable ash pan almost the circumference of the bottom. you will realize how much this helps after your 10th smoke.
I am not a CO, I am a truck driver, but there is always that danger no matter what you do or who you are. I didn't think about the ash pan. I figured I vacuum it out when I vacuum my pellet poopers.

It wont vacuum. If the fat from the food hits the ash it will coagulate and become sludge. I used a large cake pan(and i still need it bigger) but the cake pan can always go into the dishwasher once a month. I keep a metal garbage can by my smoker to dump all my previous ash. Just in case, you never know if ash still has a little spark to it.
kris

I have three drums I need sand blasted! Where do you send yours? and whats the rate? I go thru Jeff once or twice a week.

It wont vacuum. If the fat from the food hits the ash it will coagulate and become sludge. I used a large cake pan(and i still need it bigger) but the cake pan can always go into the dishwasher once a month. I keep a metal garbage can by my smoker to dump all my previous ash. Just in case, you never know if ash still has a little spark to it.
kris
Don't know what I was thinking. At 1 am I guess I wasn't. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet about the drippage and ash but it will more than likely be a drip pan of a sort. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I surely hadn't covered that part. I'll have to give it to my R&D team:biggrin:.

I opened this up thinking I'd see hard-boiled-eggs-on-the-UDS pron.

Don't know what I was thinking. At 1 am I guess I wasn't. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet about the drippage and ash but it will more than likely be a drip pan of a sort. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I surely hadn't covered that part. I'll have to give it to my R&D team:biggrin:.

Ive always been able to use a shop vac on my Drum. Yeah it turns to a sludge but I just do it the next morning and have never had a problem.

Looks good. I just hope you can control the intake well enough with that set up.

I've used variations of that intake for more than 30 barrels. Nothing better! I now use the Primo or BGE SS intake because I can reach in and give my basket a shake if I have a bridge in my lump but for control- it doesn't work better than this.

I empty my ashes every 3 or 4 bags of lump and even though I do mostly butts and ribs on the UDS I never have a sludge. I tried an ash pan and had a moisture/rust problem under the pan so I removed it. KISS works for me.

You better get him to sign a disclaimer, or when he gets out he will be in business making and selling them... :biggrin:

Actually I was thinking just the opposite. Let's get him making and selling them once he gets out. Barrels in Mid-Missouri can be had for $10. I don't know what kind of profit he could turn but at least it would be a legal income. Teach him how to post on Craigslist and let him go to town! Boost his confidence...let him know kudos are coming in nationwide.

Back