After months I finally have my UDS ready to fire up

dgaddis1

Full Fledged Farker
Thanks to this forum, I have myself a 'new' smoker.

I got into BBQ when we bought a house that came with a BGE. I learned how to use it, enjoyed it, then I realized the base was cracked. Instead of buying a new base I bought a kettle, a rotisserie kit for the kettle, and scored a great deal on a new 18" WSM (on sale for $180!).

I wanted a 22" WSM, but when I stumbled across the 18" on sale, it was a deal too good to pass up.

Well several months ago I decided I really do want the larger 22" grates, but instead of buying a WSM I'd build myself a UDS.

The first drum I got I paid for, bought it from a reconditioning place. An unlined, closed head drum. I drilled all the holes for my intake and rack supports, then cut the head off - AND IT HAD THE DREADED RED EPOXY LINER!!! Ahhhhhh. Instead of trying to get it out, my neighbor was able to hook me up with a free drum from his work, previously used to hold cutting fluid. A little banged up, but not too bad, and the price was right.

So, I drilled all the holes in my new drum, washed it out, then did a big burn and painted it....and it sat. I honestly can't remember when I did this...before or after our baby was born, pretty sure it was after, but I'm not positive. Anyways, she turns 1yr old in two weeks, and I'm cooking BBQ for the party, so time to get this thing finished! Thankfully I have had all the parts sitting around for months. I had bought a used 22" kettle to get some parts from as well.

Got my neighbor to help me put the wheels on it over the weekend, and last night I finished bolting everything else up.

STATS:
It was a closed head 55gal drum. I cut the top off and a kettle lid fits great.
I added a strip of aluminum (1/16" x 1-1/2") around the top edge to reinforce it a bit, and more importantly, give the kettle lid a bit more surface area to seal against.
It's on the caster wheel kit from UDSParts.com (two fixed, two swivel)
I also bought the temp probe grommet from UDSParts, I still need to drill the hole for it.
Handle on the side to make wheeling it around easier.
Three 3/4" intakes, two nipples to cap off once approaching temp, one w/a ball valve to fine tune the temp.
Fire basket is the charcoal grate from the donor kettle with a hoop of expanded metal bolted to it. The hoop I had used in my WSM. The whole thing is on 4" tall legs and will sit inside a water heater pan that will act as the ash catcher.
Three rack levels - bottom will hold the heat deflector and/or drip pan, top two are for cooking.

Looking forward to firing it up for a test run this weekend! Then next weekend I'm smoking a pork butt and a MONSTER 10.3lbs rack of beef ribs I bought a year ago.

The smoker.
Q4zK3hWh.jpg

The hoop used for the new charcoal basket. That's the charcoal ring from an 18" WSM next to it. I actually opened it up a bit more since this pic was taken
wMOVMs7h.jpg

The giant rack of beef ribs
jGMIw8Sh.jpg

First burn two weekends ago to season it:
  • Basket was 3/4 full of lump.
  • Temps ranged from 200-300 degrees as I fiddled with the vents to see how it reacts.
  • It ran for 22hrs before temps started dropping, and even after 32.5hrs it was still above 100 degrees (mid-30 degree outside ambient air temp)

I made a divider for the charcoal basket for doing shorter cooks - it's just a piece of expanded metal bent to fit, just drops in, not bolted.

I works great as is, but I still have a few mods/adjustments left to do:
  • Replace the $9 charbroil thermometer that isn't accurate or adjustable with an industrial temp gauge that is adjustable.
  • Trim the various bolts inside shorter to make removing the ash catcher easier.
  • I'm adding a 3/4 x 3/8 reducing tee below the valve pictured above, and putting a 3/8" valve off the tee. I'll close the 3/4" valve once near temp and use the smaller valve to fine tune the temps - I've found with the 3/4" valve small adjustments to the valve handle position can swing the temps quite a bit. A smaller valve will mean small adjustments should make for smaller temp swings, making it easier to fine tune the temps.

PICS

Interior.
imEUCDuh.jpg

At the start
qxW4Xw7h.jpg

At the finish
XQEjJCFh.jpg

Nice drum. Ribs look good as well. How were they?

Excellent! Could have let them cook a little longer, but they were dang good and we didn't have to wait as long.

I originally put them on planning to eat about 8pm after we got the almost-1yr-old put to bed, which is usually around 7:30/7:45. However, she didn't nap all day, so at 6:30ish she threw an "I'm tired please put me to bed" temper tantrum, so by 7ish, she was sound asleep in the bed and we were ready to eat. I let the ribs cook till 7:30, then said 'that's good enough' and we ate.

Back