Thawing A Brisket?

104timberwolf

Full Fledged Farker
got a 17 pounder frozen solid in the original shrink wrap. I would like to cook it when we return from our trip. Will it be OK if I move it to a cold refrigerator for 6 days?

Thanks!

Unless it was past the use by date when you froze it, yes. Even if it was close, still should be fine. Three or 4 days minimum to thaw, so only a couple of days at fridge temp, right?
I would say no problem.

Use by dates are useless. You need to know the pack date to be 100% certain, but a couple of days in the fridge after it thaws should be no problem.

got a 17 pounder frozen solid in the original shrink wrap. I would like to cook it when we return from our trip. Will it be OK if I move it to a cold refrigerator for 6 days?

Thanks!

Absolutely. Just stick it in the bottom of the frig, and it will be just fine. It's called wet aging. I've wet aged for as long as 3 weeks. Just rinse it and do your rub thing..:biggrin1:

Thanks!

Brother it will be absolutely fine for such a short period of time. I know that I'm just one man talking here, but I have used them many weeks past the "use by" date with outstanding results. As long as it smells good, then it's good in my book. Again this is just a opinion, but when I buy cryovac briskets, more often than not, I let them sit in the fridge for a couple of weeks before cooking them. Seem to turn out better to me.

Back