THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
So earlier I went to the store for Turkey Legs... left with Turkey legs and a Duck... impulse buy. Wife looked at me, grinned, and said... "you know you've never cooked a duck before..."

So yeah, I know you don't cook a duck the same way you cook chicken or turkey. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Don"t over cook..I like my duck like this...a chunk of duck 1/2 a jalapeno cream cheese water chestnut wrapped in bacon on the smoker...

I also came home last night with a duck. Never cooked one myself, but I am thinking of slow roasting and being fairly traditional with the flavors.. I have read it is important to poke the skin multiple times with a fork or sharp knife so that during the cooking process a lot of the fat can render off. This supposedly helps you achieve that crispy skin we all love.. We will see.

I usually do one around Christmas, Char Siu style (chinese). You can buy a marinade or make one. I like to put it on the smoker to render the fat and get the smoky flavor, I use cherry wood, then I finish it off on a hot charcoal grill to crisp it up. Experiment with it, they are great bbq'd. Good luck.

Back