THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

anybody care to see some tools/gadgets? I live so close that I could bring my HF log splitter for y'all to play with, the heater meter or my Jimmy. I know Blu wants to try out the heater meter.:mmph:

anyone have anything they can bring that maybe somebody might want to see in person or does anyone have a request for us to bring something that they have never seen before? Might be interesting...:rolleyes:

Here I am with no truck and you're bringing a log splitter! That'll learn me to trade in an old Tacoma for a new CRV.

Bashes are a great place to add ideas to your gift lists.

Found some more folks to invite. PMs sent to Mrtodd777, threesticks, hogsfan, markrvp, mconigs78, Nuco59, Schmendrick, Smokin J's PIts, txags2011, zoocircle, CarlBQ, cseymour45, FattyMcFatty, Pocchampion and veryolddog.

I got a PM from somebody new to bashes and I figured what I replied back might be worth sharing publicly.

What to Expect at a Texas BBQ Brethren Bash

If you've never been to a bash before, don't be scared to come out! The short short version of what we do is sit around and cook, talk, have a few beers, and eat. The longer version goes something like get there, unpack, fire up a smoker, put meat on, eat, talk some, eat, decide it's time for a beer, eat, talk some more, eat, talk while eating, eat, check what you're cooking, eat, finish what you're cooking, eat, relax, eat some more, pack up, eat, go home.

If you didn't get it, it's all about the eating. :-D

If you want to bring a cooker, great! If you want to cook but can't bring a cooker, just post up in the thread and see who's bringing a cooker and has room for whatever you want to cook. If you don't want to cook, that's fine too just bring yourself. There's also always demand for sides and desserts if you don't want to cook meat.

It's a good idea to bring your own drinks, i.e. water, sodas, beer, whatever. If you don't want to sit on a picnic table bench, bring a folding chair, but we've never run out of seating at a park before. Sunscreen and bug spray aren't bad ideas either.

I was a little nervous the first time I went to a bash, but I absolutely loved it. It's just a bunch of people getting together to practice and talk about our shared hobby. And you get to eat some of the best food around--everybody brings their A game at bashes.

You can stay as long as you like--generally we've got people setting up as soon as the park opens, and we're generally wrapping things up after dinner time when the sun starts going down. If you just want to drop in for food, you should aim for either lunch or dinner time. Stuff doesn't all come off the cookers at once (BBQ is done when it's done) but generally folks have things done either around lunch time or around dinner time.

Come on out and have fun!

I'll definitely be there barring an emergency.

I live in the area. What can/should I bring?

I can bring a Weber OTG, a jumbo joe and a mini-wsm if there is a need. I can also bring ice and meat. What kind of meat?

I don't plan to cook, but to meet, greet and learn. I don't think my skills are good enough to show in a bash.

I'll definitely be there barring an emergency.

I live in the area. What can/should I bring?

I can bring a Weber OTG, a jumbo joe and a mini-wsm if there is a need. I can also bring ice and meat. What kind of meat?

I don't plan to cook, but to meet, greet and learn. I don't think my skills are good enough to show in a bash.

I wouldn't worry about skills. I am sure I will fark something up trying to meet everyone instead of cooking.

I wouldn't worry about skills. I am sure I will fark something up trying to meet everyone instead of cooking.

Nah, you'll have folks like Chris (sliding billy) who's got your back. I was not paying attention to my brisket at one bash (there might have been alcohol involved) and he got me back on track.

This a great place to learn so feel free to ask lotsa questions.

Nah, you'll have folks like Chris (sliding billy) who's got your back. I was not paying attention to my brisket at one bash (there might have been alcohol involved) and he got me back on track.

yup! but no one can help with getting a brisket done by dinner time when someone shows up at 1pm :wink:

I know someone that can help get it burnt, though! :becky:

There is a slim chance I might be able to swing by for a bit and maybe sample some grub as I am tentatively planning to drive down to Austin to put a load of crap in storage and this would likely be a welcome break from driving.

There is a slim chance I might be able to swing by for a bit and maybe sample some grub as I am tentatively planning to drive down to Austin to put a load of crap in storage and this would likely be a welcome break from driving.

That would be awesome!

I hope you can make it.

Yeah, Chris has helped me with a couple cooks too. I swear the dude is a BBQ master chef.

Back