Thought Y'all Had My Back

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Just cause I make up for lack of talent with imagination, it doesn't mean I'm not coachable. So I've been keeping my beef fat scraps. Chunks and strips. I often use the fat and smoke up some tallow. Generally I'll use the smoked tallow for soups, stews, chili - sometimes adding to butcher paper, beef cheek con fit. Simple Jack & Jill level receipt reading.

Well last night I watch a cook making tallow with brisket trimming. Here's what you never taught me. This gentleman ran his semi frozen fat scraps thru a #10 grinder. Said it increased volume by more efficient rendering..

Fat thru the grinder before rendering in smoker.

If y'all told me, it didn't stick.

Last edited:
When I was a kid down on the farm, we raised pigs for some of our meat. We would butcher the hogs which meant skinning, harvesting the usable organs and disposing of the entrails with the help of the wild animals. We then took the carcass to the butcher where he processed the meat for our consumption. The butcher always ground up the fat and my folks would render the fat for lard. The rendered fat cooked down into little crispy BB's of goodness that the folks called cracklins. A handful of cracklins with salt added were a good snack. Also made the most delicious cracklin cornbread.

I cannot attest to it being more efficient. Sort of a walk down memory lane though.

Thank You.living in NE Oklahoma my Dad would tell of hog swapping.. said the pigs were like pet dogs, but smarter. When it came time for processing my Grandad and another neighbor would swap hogs.
Memory Lane.

Let me add.For small quantities I use the KitchenAide grinder attachment and I have an automatic dish washer and a very very loving wife that is happy to clean up whatever mess I make.

Back