Tandoor Oven testing pics

Hey Shadow, did you ever end up making a tandoor?

I did a small modification to my setup - I needed a heat shield so that I don't (intentionally) burn down my garage.

OhGx8Np.png

Fired up on the 4th... was impatient. You really need to warm this thing up well ahead of time and cook once there are only coals, and not flames.
I also didn't save my naan recipe from last time, this time the dough was not sticking well -- probably because the flames were so damn hot and I couldn't keep my forearm in there long enough to smack it to the wall.

I'll be investing in some kind of fireproof sleeve .. these things are easily 900+ degrees and will / have burned me.

esXwBFt.png

If you can pull the heat shield back so that it is a couple of inches from contact with the wall or the ceiling it will be much more effective.

If you can pull the heat shield back so that it is a couple of inches from contact with the wall or the ceiling it will be much more effective.

Agreed, heatshield plus a 1" air gap is MUCH more effective.

BTW, I still want a tandoor. I think we should all have one!

I just ran across a place in Canada that will ship to the U.S. (Tonir Canada.com) The ones they import are the ornate Armenian variety, which is my preference.
I'm afraid to check on the overall cost because I'd take this plunge with little provocation....

Oh great! At least you have to pay for shipping, I could leave tomorrow morning to pick it up and be home in time to make dinner! Arrrrrrgh!

I just ran across a place in Canada that will ship to the U.S. (Tonir Canada.com) The ones they import are the ornate Armenian variety, which is my preference.
I'm afraid to check on the overall cost because I'd take this plunge with little provocation....

They have a small electric one on sale for $239 Monopoly money:

Price: $270 CAD
SUMMER SPECIAL: $239 Until the end of August
*pickup only*
Energy consuption: 1.8 kWh Measurements:
6 places for skewers Height: 65cm
Cooks 3-4kg of meat at once Width: 35cm
3 storey suspension for fish and vegetables Weight: 16kg

^^^^^That sounds sweet but I would really like to try one of the wood burning styles. I can almost smell the lamb kabobs.......

Hey Shadow, did you ever end up making a tandoor?

No... :roll: :sad:

I've been a bit busy with "work." (Pfffft. Where ARE my priorities!?)

Maybe late this Winter, after I pick up some "extra" work out there for Uncle Sam...

Appreciate you checking in and giving us more fun stuff to see and consider and oogle.

I'll be investing in some kind of fireproof sleeve .. these things are easily 900+ degrees and will / have burned me.
I was kind of wondering about that. The mere thought of working around that thing is scary - reaching in to it to place Naan on the wall.....:eek:

Thanks for that, that is already in the works before next time -- just didn't have spare supplies around. Luckily it comes up and down with a few screws :) Just wanted something quick for this run .. also moving the light above helped keeping it from melting this time :becky: The heat actually moves away just fine under there, I just wanted some minimal protection compared to before.

Everyone needs one :)

No... :roll: :sad:

I've been a bit busy with "work." (Pfffft. Where ARE my priorities!?)

Maybe late this Winter, after I pick up some "extra" work out there for Uncle Sam...

Appreciate you checking in and giving us more fun stuff to see and consider and oogle.

Damn work.. I know all about it

I was kind of wondering about that. The mere thought of working around that thing is scary - reaching in to it to place Naan on the wall.....:eek:

I did definitely burn my arm this time around.. all for avoidable reasons. Hopefully people can learn from my stupidity.

1) I was being impatient and wanted to get cooking, so, I still had active flames in the oven when cooking with it. That's a big no no. You need to get it nice and hot, THEN cook, with coals only left in there, no flames.. just like when grilling. All that hot air / fire is funneled to the top and has to come out

2) Protect your arms if you're coking naan!! I never burned myself before at all, but this time I did -- one because my arm was wet, and two, because I didn't pay attention to rule #1 .. My arm was wet when I stuck the one piece of naan in there .. the water on my skin pretty much flash boiled it.

(july 4th beverage selection probably reduced my level of caution.. I don't normally screw around when it comes to heat / fire / etc. Slip once ... that's what you get)

Also to note .. the day earlier I was doing yard work and (unknown at the time) I got my arms deep into poison ivy, oak, AND sumac at the same time ... that burn on the same patch of arm with the poison stuff has given me an extremely uncomfortable week and a few bonus prescriptions ... fun fun

Thinking of gloves shaped like this (just have to do some temperature research to find the right ones)

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Revolutionary-Multifunction-Professional-Resistant-Kpaco/dp/B01MEG929L/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1500043347&sr=8-15&keywords=arm+heat+glove[/ame]

Last edited:
All of the photos I've seen of folks "back in the Mother land" making naan bread, use a board featuring a pillow attached along one end. The dough is spread across the pillow and the cook's poison-sumac-encrusted arms are kept a safe distance from the volcano while the dough is smushed against the inside wall, the pillow helping force the dough against the cooker's contours.

From what I've seen, when finally getting a tonir, my board is going to be maybe sixteen feet long......

All of the photos I've seen of folks "back in the Mother land" making naan bread, use a board featuring a pillow attached along one end. The dough is spread across the pillow and the cook's poison-sumac-encrusted arms are kept a safe distance from the volcano while the dough is smushed against the inside wall, the pillow helping force the dough against the cooker's contours.

From what I've seen, when finally getting a tonir, my board is going to be maybe sixteen feet long......

Haha, awesome :)
Whenever I watch the cooks in India, they just shove it in there with the naan gaddi (pillow). I didn't have a problem.. just dumb. wet arm, active fire, never a good mix. Then again, they do it all day / every day

I think a tandoor oven is like a boat....it's much better having a friend who owns one :grin:
I'm very jealous sethga....though we do live in the same state!

Back